Main Menu

Best A/C choice?

Started by xx88man, May 15, 2017, 09:34:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

Hi there. I have tried to research but have found mixed reviews so now I am looking for opinions. I am wanting to build my '70 Cuda with A/C (factory non-AC car). I don't currently have any A/C parts? I am building a nice driver so I'm not too concerned with factory correct but I don't want ugly either. Is a Vintage Air system the best choice? Or should I be shopping around for used parts for a '70 ? I hear the Vintage system is horrible to install (as in parts don't fit?)  I'm not a great fabricator. Has anyone here been down the same road and have found a reasonable solution? 

Thanks
Keep yer foot in it

RUNCHARGER

I would absolutely go to a modern system rather than chase down all the stock parts and try to get them all to work.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Finding a stock system is not going to be easy.  The aftermarket ones will take a bit to make them fit right, but they seem to work well.

1 Wild R/T

With a non-a/c car definitely aftermarket..  I haven't heard of issues with how the Vintage Air fits... But the control panel is super fragile.. I've worked on two cars where a slider knob fell off when the owner was adjusting the temperature.....

shawge

I went with Classic Auto Air on my non-AC 70 Challenger.  Install was pretty straight forward. Slightly deviated from their install instructions due to me not liking how they routed some of the lines.  Either way, use relays for the fan to allow full power on high.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

xx88man

Thanks for the replies guys. I think that's what I will do then. Would it be difficult to make an original style control panel work with this system?
Also my current dash was butchered as someone used a hole-saw on it (in multiple places)...I assume I would need an A/C dash? Or does this system have vents that come out under the dash?
Keep yer foot in it

1 Wild R/T

Just looked at the Classic Auto Air kit, they use the original control panel & adapt switches to it... Maybe not a pretty as Vintage's solution but certainly more durable... I don't like their under dash vents, but if I were doing a conversion I'd use an A/C pad & duct the air through stock style vents...

Actually after a second look the only vent below the dash is the drivers vent... Shouldn't be to hard to solve that...

shawge

CAA has an option to use their in-dash A/C vents but that requires some cutting - not something I wanted to do on a brand new dash. IMO, best bet would be to score an A/C dash.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

xx88man

Great info. Thanks guys.   :wave:
Keep yer foot in it

Jgallagh1944

I have a Vintage Air system in my 70 Challenger 440. I had it installed by my mechanic for $1k. It was well worth having him do the install. It looks like it came with the car; works and looks great, in the engine compartment and inside the passenger compartment. In Florida, you need air if you want to enjoy your classic car year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Wild R/T

It's funny, 20-30 years ago we would rip all that un-needed junk off the engine.... Now, we search & spend $$$$ to get it back & get it working.... Priorities change....

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 15, 2017, 10:05:23 PM
With a non-a/c car definitely aftermarket..  I haven't heard of issues with how the Vintage Air fits... But the control panel is super fragile.. I've worked on two cars where a slider knob fell off when the owner was adjusting the temperature.....

The slider knobs come uninstalled from vintage air, they just pop on. Perhaps that's a new thing.

I bought vintage air for my car, under dash vents. I do have some complaints about their system, but i still feel it is the best solution given the available options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Shoooter

Vintage air would be great for you. If there was a way I could keep my stock look and use there system I would.

chargerdon

I have Vintage Air in my 74 Challenger which was factory air.   It installed fairly easily (had the dash out anyways), looks like factory and works very well. 

One thing i don't like about the Vintage air is that they have you "block off" the original fresh air inlet, so the system is always in "recirculate mode".   Their hot water control is electronic but it is either full on or full off...no in between.   They regulate the temp by varing the amount of air in the box going thru the evaporator, or the heater coil.   Thus, you always get slightly warmed air, unless you kick on the compressor.   

On a cool day say 65 degrees, the air coming out of the vents is a little warm unless you kick the compressor on.