Main Menu

Console door repair - help needed

Started by blown motor, May 01, 2017, 08:51:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

The inner layer of my console door is seperating from the top. What is the best way to deal with this?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

EV2RTSE

I've repaired several of these. If you take all the screws out, chances are you'll find some of the plastic pegs that the screws go into have broken away from the rest of the console door. If the broken pieces are still attached to the screws, great, if not what I did was get some plastic dowel rod (ebay or craft store), and some ABS cement. Cut a small piece to fit and glue in. Drill a small pilot hole to start the screw and you're good to go. The ABS cement is actually really strong and as long as you don't go crazy tightening everything back down you should be fine.

MoparDave

IF you cant get that one doctored up. I have new for 58.00 + ups
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

blown motor

HP_Cuda

First thing you have to clean off the area where it looks like someone already tried to glue it shut and it came loose.

Now you could use an epoxy which would last a while but over time it will get brittle and finally break like this. Because this part opens and closes and vibrates a bit I would go with Goop. Goop is a great glue when you need a strong bond and can take vibration.

Just food for thought.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Solarguy

I glued a couple strips of 1/4 or 3/8 plywood to the top half and then screwed the bottom half to that.  Been fine for years and added some heft to the door. 

anlauto

Ever try heating up the screws before screwing them into the repaired posts ? :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71GranCoupe

Quote from: soundcontrol on May 01, 2017, 12:51:59 PM
Good tips, mine has the same problem.  :bigthumb:

Same here, I will be able to save an original burnt orange cover now.  :thankyou:

blown motor

Quote from: EV2RTSE on May 01, 2017, 08:59:27 AM
I've repaired several of these. If you take all the screws out, chances are you'll find some of the plastic pegs that the screws go into have broken away from the rest of the console door. If the broken pieces are still attached to the screws, great, if not what I did was get some plastic dowel rod (ebay or craft store), and some ABS cement. Cut a small piece to fit and glue in. Drill a small pilot hole to start the screw and you're good to go. The ABS cement is actually really strong and as long as you don't go crazy tightening everything back down you should be fine.

Got it apart. Someone had already glued those plastic pegs in once but it does't look like they used ABS cement. The one closest to the latch was broke off again.

EV2RTSE

With the ABS cement I use quite a bit - make a good sized puddle to stick the peg into. And then let it dry for at least 24 hours before fastening the screws. The ABS cement actually melts into the plastic a little bit and then once it cures it's really strong.

jimynick

I'd pre-drill it also so that you're not torquing the bejeezus out of those wee post/patches. Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

blown motor

I used a combo of ideas. I used Goop to glue a couple pieces of cedar shim on the inside of the top piece. The shims worked great because they are tapered and I could use the part that was the perfect thickness. Back end pulled down perfect, the front not quite because of warpage on the inner piece. I'll run with it for this year and if it doesn't hold I'll be calling Roseville and saying  :takemymoney: