Main Menu

Dash Removal in the words of Alan

Started by nsmall, April 13, 2017, 09:11:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

Make sure all the insulation , pedals & supports , heater box , etc are all in place before the dash is installed as Alan said

HP_Cuda

I'd suggest setting up a frame to mount the dash  - makes things much easier to assemble.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

cuda dad

The list makes it sound so easy, I've only ever replaced a dash pad with the dash still in the car.  Wasn't pretty.

70/6chall

I can remember a few years back when I changed out my dash pad for the replacement I procured. Didn't know a damned thing about R&Ring an E-body pad. With nothing to go by, I sat in the drivers seat for about 20 mins looked at my job and started taking things apart methodically one after another. After 2 days on a weekend, I was sitting in front of completed task, I must have done something right it went back together the way it came apart. Except with a new pad. I found out there are about 9 or 10 PAL nuts up under the windshield I decided to change them to regular nuts. Got real tired of laying under the dash real quick. Did lay a heavy blanket down so I didn't break my back on the tunnel. Glad it's in, you can bet on it, it will be well taken care of.     Thanks,   Al

7212Mopar

Wear long sleeves to avoid cuts of your arms but it makes it more difficult to get to some of the speed nuts. A little more work but should be easier to do it outside the car. I did mine in the car with sweat, blood and curse.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

ksierens

All great information, just finished restoring my dash including removing the pad from the frame and repainting both. One thing I did not do was to install the trim below the radio until I put the dash back in the car because I was afraid it might be broken. Boy that was a pain getting at the screws, ended up having to take the radio and ash tray back out again to get to them.

A large piece of plywood and a few 2x4's worked great for me for a frame to hold it, kinda a rotisserie for the dash  :ohyeah:
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4 Speed Dana 3.54

dave73

This thread is a wealth of knowledge, I'll be going at this task over the winter so THANK YOU!

Any recommendations on the best way to get the fasteners out by the windshield?

Chryco Psycho

1/4 " drive with a flex extension works best , keep a magnet near too
installing the screws is another story , I fought with that for hours on one car , , my customers girlfriend showed up & was able to start the screws by hand !!
Nice to have small hands at times LOL

anlauto

Here's another trick.....Grab that long mirror off of the back of the wife's closet door.....lay it on the outside of the windshield and with a small light source, you'll be able the see those bolts no problem.... 8)

Get it done quick and put the mirror back before she sees it's gone  :pullinghair: :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dave73

Quote from: anlauto on November 01, 2017, 09:40:14 AM
Here's another trick.....Grab that long mirror off of the back of the wife's closet door.....lay it on the outside of the windshield and with a small light source, you'll be able the see those bolts no problem.... 8)

Get it done quick and put the mirror back before she sees it's gone  :pullinghair: :alan2cents:

Great idea! I'll do it on a day she is working...

HP_Cuda

How about an easier option, pull the window.

Done.

dave73

Quote from: HP_Cuda on November 01, 2017, 11:44:51 AM

How about an easier option, pull the window.

Done.

Actually thinking about that as well. Current one has a small chip, I may get a new one so we'll see.

What size are the bolts by the windshield?

HP_Cuda

I think they were 7/16" heads but don't quote me.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration