Main Menu

E-brake and brake assembly paint

Started by nsmall, June 22, 2017, 02:05:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Couldn't stand the rusty e brake and brake assembly so I painted them black.  Im sure I'm off on the color but it's okay I just wanted to get some paint on there but my question is should I sand the paint off of this bracket that I'm pointing to?  Or can I just leave it black?

nsmall

As for the two springs on the e-brake assembly and even the spring on the slap stick shifter should I leave the springs  in raw metal and put grease on them or should I paint them now that I got most of the rest off and then grease it?

Thanks in advance

Neil

soundcontrol

Question is if there is any switches on there that needs ground. I actually don't remember, only removed those once. If not, leave the paint. But I'm sure someone here knows that better than me. I would paint the springs also, while they are clean.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

nsmall

Black interior.  Toxic orange and black do it for me Alan.

Should I worry about the bracket I painted? As in sand it down to bare metal?

Thanks

Aar1064

I too wonder why black? The clip you're referring to just holds the hazard light relay and it doesn't matter if it's painted.

The springs do need some kind of protection to keep from rusting.

Burdar

The e-brake lever was black originally. You can't see the rest of the mechanism very easily with the kick panels installed. Black is fine as long as it doesn't mess up the brake warning light switch. I think the switch is grounded through the mechanism.

In order to paint springs, I hammer a couple long nails into a scrap piece of wood. Then I stretch the spring over the nails. This way the coils are separated and paint will cover the entire surface. Just let them sit for a day to dry.

nsmall

@Burdar

Thanks.  Always appreciate your advice. I don't know if I'm overthinking this but should I be lubing up the spring with some sort of Grease?

The SEM black trim paint looks great on the pedal mechanism as for the rest of it I just painted with rustoleum black.

Cuda Cody

Quote from: Aar1064 on June 22, 2017, 03:36:39 PM
The clip you're referring to just holds the hazard light relay and it doesn't matter if it's painted.
:iagree:  Yup, that's a flasher relay holder and does not need a ground.

Timbbuc2

On my Challenger, I media blasted the unit ,painted brake pedal black and clear coated the rest, that should keep it from rusting. BUT thats me  :rofl:
Get in, I'll drive

Burdar

Quoteshould I be lubing up the spring with some sort of Grease?

I'd just paint it and move on to something else.  It doesn't need to be lubed. :alan2cents:

usraptor

Re the clutch and brake pedal assembly, I painted mine with Eastwood's metal gray to more closely match it's natural color.  If you want to change the color, there is no need to completely sand it down.  Just sand it with 220 or 320 grit and then repaint gray or what every color you want.  The unit is pretty much hidden under the dash so I don't think it's a big deal one way or the other.  AS other said, the majority of the e-brake foot lever is painted black.

manycj

I soaked mine in phosphoric acid (from Home Depot) overnight, dipped it in a bath made from baking soda (to neutralize the acid), cleaned it up with scotch bright and clear coated it with krylon satin clear. I used krylon satin black on the pedals. 
<I>If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so no onw can!"</I>

usraptor

Quote from: manycj on June 23, 2017, 08:12:45 AM
I soaked mine in phosphoric acid (from Home Depot) overnight, dipped it in a bath made from baking soda (to neutralize the acid), cleaned it up with scotch bright and clear coated it with krylon satin clear. I used krylon satin black on the pedals.

Very nicely done.     :clapping:  Wish I had done mine that way! :bigthumb:

usraptor

Few pics of mine.