Main Menu

Finally.....A place to put my beverage!!!

Started by Mickm, May 08, 2018, 09:18:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mickm

Hello All,
If the original project planning team dropped the ball on any one area, it was where do you put your "adult beverage" while you cruising around in your cool ride!!!
I have researched until I am blue in the face with no real satisfactory solution. I've seen add on's, strap'on's and all sorts of things I won't mention. :D :Dl

I realize the "original car owners" will not be interested in my solution and I fully understand and agree with their sentiments.  However, the TINFISH is not a number matching car and  was built srickly for enjoyment and cruzing.  The drink holder topic was one I could not get away from cause holding my drink in my lap... just didn't cut it for me.
So if you're interested, follow along and I'll show you what I did and how.  If you have questions, I'll do my best to answer them.
Let's get started!!!

First issue to address was what to use???? I looked and looked but this one won out. It holds everything from a can drink to a big gulp. It has a black ABS body with an aluminum trim ring that matches my console facade that is covered in a black leather covering. Cost....$4.00 from ebay
with free shipping! It has a 3/8"drain spout. I opted to install a 3/8" plastic line over the nipple and drilled a hole in the hump for the hose to exit.
No water in the cut holder....yeah!!!

This area screamed " put your drink holder here" to me.  The only place that made sense.

I removed the console from the car. I removed the top plate and placed the 3 5/8" hole saw as far back as necessary for the cup holder to sit. I scribbled around the hole saw.

I opted to remove the necessary material using a soldering iron with a cut off blade. then cleaned up the area with a hole sander on a drill. Worked great!

You will need to remove some material from the shifter slide plate. Be sure not to take too much material away. You want everything to look as  it should thu all gear shifting.

Mount the top plate to the console then, transfer the center to the top plate so you are drilling correctly.
Then I removed the necessary material using  the hole saw with the top plate clamped in the drill press.

And this is the finish result!  To me it looks like this is how it should have come from the factory..but didnt'

I couldn't be happier with the result. So much so, I took the TINFISH out for a neighborhood cruise,  after I was finished to see how it felt.
It is perfect!!!

Cheers!
Mickm

Cuda Cody

CudaMoparRay

mopar thunder

That looks great! Thanks for sharing that.

Jay Bee

:ohyeah:  Very professional looking job. I bet people that know absolutely nothing about our cars would think that's suppose to be there.

ZEN357

Wow!  Looks like it came from the factory like that!!!

303 Mopar

Thank for show us @Mickm!  That looks really nice!   :cheers:

cuda hunter

Any chance you could put a large Mcdonalds cup in there and put the shifter into first so that I can see how close it is to the cup?
I have some worries there when down shifting to first.   

Looks awesome though!  Great solution. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

BIGSHCLUNK

That looks real good! I'd be very hesitant doing that but but nice job.  :ohyeah:

Dmz73

Quote from: Mickm on May 08, 2018, 09:18:37 PM
Hello All,
If the Mopar engineers dropped the ball on any one area, it was where do you put your "adult beverage" while you cruising around in your cool ride!!!
I have researched until I am blue in the face with no real satisfactory solution. I've seen add on's, strap'on's and all sorts of things I won't mention. :D :Dl

I realize the "original car owners" will not be interested in my solution and I fully understand and agree with their sentiments.  However, the TINFISH is not a number matching car and  was built srickly for enjoyment and cruzing.  The drink holder topic was one I could not get away from cause holding my drink in my lap... just didn't cut it for me.
So if you're interested, follow along and I'll show you what I did and how.  If you have questions, I'll do my best to answer them.
Let's get started!!!

First issue to address was what to use???? I looked and looked but this one won out. It holds everything from a can drink to a big gulp. It has a black ABS body with an aluminum trim ring that matches my console facade that is covered in a black leather covering. Cost....$4.00 from ebay
with free shipping! It has a 3/8"drain spout. I opted to install a 3/8" plastic line over the nipple and drilled a hole in the hump for the hose to exit.
No water in the cut holder....yeah!!!

This area screamed " put your drink holder here" to me.  The only place that made sense.

I removed the console from the car. I removed the top plate and placed the 3 5/8" hole saw as far back as necessary for the cup holder to sit. I scribbled around the hole saw.

I opted to remove the necessary material using a soldering iron with a cut off blade. then cleaned up the area with a hole sander on a drill. Worked great!

You will need to remove some material from the shifter slide plate. Be sure not to take too much material away. You want everything to look as  it should thu all gear shifting.

Mount the top plate to the console then, transfer the center to the top plate so you are drilling correctly.
Then I removed the necessary material using  the hole saw with the top plate clamped in the drill press.

And this is the finish result!  To me it looks like this is how it should have come from the factory..but didnt'

I couldn't be happier with the result. So much so, I took the TINFISH out for a neighborhood cruise,  after I was finished to see how it felt.
It is perfect!!!

Cheers!
Mickm

I did the same thing!
You totally nailed it!
Here's a picture of mine before I installed the trim ring.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoodysGotaCuda

Well done!

But blame the product planning folks, not the engineers. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Mickm

cuda hunter, All I have is the largest Yeti cup. I would think this thing is as big as the largest McDonalds cup.

Here's one with a coke and foam Koozie

GoodysGotaCuda, you are correct! The project planning team is where the blame should fall, a brain fart there. Original post edited to be correct. No bad words about engineers from me, especially since I am a retired engineer. lol

Cheers!
Mickm

Cudakiller70

Excellent!  8) Gotta have my big gulps!

It's hard to know

Timbbuc2

Looks very nice, well done, and it looks like it belongs
Get in, I'll drive