Main Menu

Glovebox latch

Started by GoMangoBoys, August 30, 2020, 07:31:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

Is the glovebox latch easy to remove from the glovebox door?  I want to take it apart to paint it.
Thanks

anlauto

Easy ? No....You'll spend more time cursing that you would masking it up... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Easy for me ... do you have a key ?
If not you need to pick the lock to the locked position then there is a small window picking it is not really hard you just need a small hook that will slide into the key way  to lift the tumblers while added light turning pressure , insert a paper clip & depress the retainer & it will slide out , if you have the key you need to depress the retainer then insert the key & the cylinder slides out , I would take pictures but I don't have one here to work with .

anlauto

That's a great video....I've never had much luck at it....Most cases I don't have the key though... :headbang:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Rich G.

Everything is easy once you know the secret. Great video

drew43a

I have done it several times after seeing the video. just takes a little finessing. but you will get it.

340Challman

How do you gain access to that pin when the latch is in the door? I can't even see it. I took the screws out and can barely rotate the latch still can't get to the pin.  :help:
Kevin

tparker

I can't recall how I figured out how to remove it, but it wasn't hard. I didn't have the key so I took it to the lock smith to get a new key made.

Picking locks is pretty easy, just takes a little practice and/or patience a a couple cheap tools from Amazon. It was a recent hobby about a year ago.  :D

Chryco Psycho

It has to be picked to the locked position in order to acces the retainer for the lock cyl , once locked the retainer can be pushed in through a small window in the lock housing .

340Challman

My car is all kinds of bastardized. I have the ignition key which does work the doors and my trunk key works the trunk, but it does not work on the glovebox. So a locksmith can make me a key for the glovebox with nothing more than the lock cylinder? Nice. :slapme5:
Kevin

ledphoot

I replaced the latch on my glovebox with a non-keyed one.. I would never lock the thing simply because I wouldn't want some crook to force their way in to it.

340Challman

Quote from: ledphoot on April 02, 2021, 04:06:15 PM
I replaced the latch on my glovebox with a non-keyed one.. I would never lock the thing simply because I wouldn't want some crook to force their way in to it.

Where did you get the non-locking latch? Mine has never been locked in the 30 years I've owned it. To me it makes no sense to have a locking glove box or console unless you have a vert. I see no need.
Kevin

Chryco Psycho

Better yet a locksmith will be able to make the glovebox lock work on the trunk key you have , or at least I would .