Main Menu

How much carpet should run under door sill plate?

Started by nsmall, December 27, 2017, 12:48:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Does anyone have any pictures or could tell me how much carpet should be underneath the door sill plate?  Should it just tuck on under the door sill lip or actually  run under the door sill plate? Thanks in advance.

soundcontrol

:popcorn:

I cut mine too short a few times, so it comes loose under the lip after a while.

GoodysGotaCuda

I have 3/4" or so after the carpet breaks the edge of the pinch weld there. Seems to be holding fine.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

anlauto

I usually go up and over the pinch weld, trimming each end for the interior panels.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

Quote from: anlauto on December 27, 2017, 04:42:13 AM
I usually go up and over the pinch weld, trimming each end for the interior panels.
:iagree: This is definitely the best way.  Give it a little time before you start cutting and let the carpet settle in some.

Chryco Psycho

longer is better for sure , I usually go over the pinch weld

303 Mopar

I usually go up and over and make sure the sill plates fit nice and tight.  If not, trim the carpet back but keep it at least up to the top of the pinch weld.  I have found that some carpets feel thicker and therefore cause the sill plate to not fit as well.

JH27N0B

I still cringe a little when I think back a few years to when I installed new ACC mass backed carpet in my convertible.  It took a while for my knees and cut and blistered fingers to heel, but the results were worth it!
I don't think there is a hard and fast rule, but always err on the side of caution when trimming the carpet.  I struggled with the sill areas, as with the mass backed carpet, the sill was snagging the bottom of my door panels after installing, and I had to do a lot of back and forth to resolve that.
One bit of advice is to cut out a relief in the lower carpet piece in the sill area where the upper carpet overlaps it (I don't recall offhand if the front section overlaps the rear or visa versa).  Other than that, had to carefully trim away mass backing to get the sill to install properly to not catch the door panels.
Even though it was more work, I do like the mass backed carpet option!  if you aren't installing mass backed, your job will be much easier with the sills.

303 Mopar

Quote from: JH27N0B on December 27, 2017, 08:58:02 AM
I still cringe a little when I think back a few years to when I installed new ACC mass backed carpet in my convertible.  It took a while for my knees and cut and blistered fingers to heel, but the results were worth it!
I don't think there is a hard and fast rule, but always err on the side of caution when trimming the carpet.  I struggled with the sill areas, as with the mass backed carpet, the sill was snagging the bottom of my door panels after installing, and I had to do a lot of back and forth to resolve that.
One bit of advice is to cut out a relief in the lower carpet piece in the sill area where the upper carpet overlaps it (I don't recall offhand if the front section overlaps the rear or visa versa).  Other than that, had to carefully trim away mass backing to get the sill to install properly to not catch the door panels.
Even though it was more work, I do like the mass backed carpet option!  if you aren't installing mass backed, your job will be much easier with the sills.

I had the same issue with the panels catching the sill plate and had to trim the thick carpet back.  I personally hate doing carpet.    :bricks:

Dakota

Just marking for future reference.   Good (Goody??  :D) info!

ToxicWolf

I too go up and over the pinch weld.  Just remember, you can always cut more off, but when it's gone ... it's gone!   :Thud:

RUNCHARGER

I go past the pinch weld a bit, maybe an inch or so. As posted, you don't want the sill plates sitting high and catching the door panels.
Sheldon

Shane Kelley

The best friend is heat when installing carpets. Unless your really south right now or have access to a paint booth with a bake cycle. The heat makes it real floppy and limber so it lays real nice on the floor.  You pull a carpet out of the box and it's cold out. Almost impossible to get it to relax in place and that leads to cutting it short. Once summer gets here and the carpet relaxes and sits where it should that's when he see the floor peaking at you from under the kick panels.

nsmall

@Shane Kelley

So I got it to look good in my opinion besides this one area where I have to fold it over a little bit on the driver side.  Should I be content with that as everything else is looking really good?

nsmall

@anlauto @Shane Kelley

I'm mocking up the rear interior.  Does option one or two seem correct?