Main Menu

I have good news...I think (OEM AC box)

Started by nsmall, January 24, 2017, 11:43:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I found out I have an AC control panel.  Thats my good news.

I will try to post some pics this week.  I have a AC OEM box that is not in the car, my 73 Cuda was a NON AC car, the previous owner began the conversion and never finished it.

On that note, I have an OEM AC box and like I said a AC control panel, the firewall is cut for the AC OEM box.

Do you have to remove the center console and passenger seat to install the AC OEM box?  Is there a kit for sale anywhere so I can mount it?

The AC box needs a new gaskets, a heater core, a blower, the hoses from the engine to the fire wall, and the wires and whatever else I need from the control panel to the box.  Should I try Roseville for the parts?

What else do I need?

Currently....I DO NOT WANT TO SET UP THE AC, however down the road could I put in a modern compressor, and compressor and possibly set up the AC?

My AC ABS dash pad is warping and will be replaced, its currently has no ducting, but I have the vents in the dash all set up right now. 

My main concern is...Could I set up the heater without ducting to the vents as I dont really need heat, but I want to set up something to fill in the firewall and I dont want to spend a lot of money so it would be great to set up what I have unless this sounds complicated and/or not possible.

Thanks

PS, I could go back to a original non AC box, but I would have to change the firewall, find a non AC box which I have been unsuccessful so far, get a non AC control panel, so I would prefer to take the path of least resistance.

Neil

nsmall

Pics

nsmall

Fire wall...

nsmall

Control panel.  I LOVE how easy it is to post pics...

nsmall

Is there any way to confirm that the AC box I have is for an E-body?

Is there any way to confirm that my control panel will match with the AC box?

Thanks

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

How did they patch the driver's side vent hole? A/C cars do not have a driver's side vent box.  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Looks as if they did a good job making it an AC firewall, but since I've never done an AC car I'm not sure of all the little things that are needed.  IT does look like the harder to find 70 only AC control switch?   :dunno:

I'm such a stock guy that I would just turn it back to stock and forget the AC.  I know the heater boxes well too.  But it's your car and I'm sure you'll do fine if you want to go with AC.  I'm sure you find everything you need soon enough.  Plus you're close to Spring and Fall fling.  They seem to always have some AC parts for ebodies.

Section 24 of the service manual is where I would go to learn about AC if I was going to do one....

http://www.e-bodies.org/resources/service-manuals-parts-catalogs-tsb/

headejm

Quote from: nsmall on January 25, 2017, 12:22:35 AM
Is there any way to confirm that the AC box I have is for an E-body?

Is there any way to confirm that my control panel will match with the AC box?

Thanks

Neil, your AC box looks correct to me. Check for these markings taken from a 1970 unit.

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel