Main Menu

Package tray details

Started by 1970 cuda Joe, January 23, 2024, 01:36:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1970 cuda Joe

My 70 Cuda has a fader on the dash & originally had a single speaker dash pad. Reading other topics, the car would've had an AM radio or an 8 track. 8 track had a different lower dash panel so I'm ruling that out. My question is with a rear seat speaker, would the package tray only have a cut out for the single speaker or did it have cut outs on both sides? It doesn't have rear defog either....  thank you, Joe
1970 cuda 440-6, 4 speed NOM. Moulin Rouge

I've owned my 70 Cuda since 1972 it has an am radio single front speaker a fader switch on the left lower panel beside the heater switch panel and 1 rear speaker on the right side of the package tray.

1970 cuda Joe

Quote from: 704406 on January 23, 2024, 02:20:25 PMI've owned my 70 Cuda since 1972 it has an am radio single front speaker a fader switch on the left lower panel beside the heater switch panel and 1 rear speaker on the right side of the package tray.

Is the package tray cut for 2 speakers or just the one? Thank you, Joe

larry4406

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the metal package tray was punched for 2 speakers and the rear defroster.

Then when the car was built, you got an option specific trim panel overlay.

1970 cuda Joe

I'm referring to the fibre decor' panel. I see they're offered with no speaker holes & 2 speaker holes....Thank you, Joe

Mr Cuda

Even if it only had 1 speaker,  the package shelf was perforated for 2.

1970 cuda Joe

Thank you for verifing that.....Joe

The fiber package tray only had 1 hole, it had a metal oval trim piece with a built in mesh like screen and 4 studs that went thru the metal panel under the fiber top and the speaker mounted to the trim piece studs. You could buy an additional speaker kit from the dealer if you wanted to add a second speaker.
The after market fibre top panels now have two slotted opening for speakers wether you have no speakers or 1 or 2 speakers