Main Menu

Painting dash frame ?

Started by truckinman466, February 09, 2019, 05:47:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

truckinman466

What is the proper color black for my dash frame? My car is tx9. Would that be too shiney?

GoodysGotaCuda

I used SEM trim black on mine and it gave it a nice satin finish.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

JS29

I used SEM trim black, I know it's not original but it is close. swede or orgisal not sure i am spelling it right was used at the factory. you are correct about gloss not being used.   :alan2cents:

6Pack70

I use Sems Black Self-Etch primer, then a mist coat of Rustoleum fine textured black from about 24 inches away, then Sems Trim Black.  Comes out really nice, almost exactly like the original suede laquer.

anlauto

Quote from: truckinman466 on February 09, 2019, 05:47:14 AM
What is the proper color black for my dash frame? My car is tx9. Would that be too shiney?

Yes it's much more of a flat black, matte black, satin black...anything but gloss black :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

The dash was originally Suede from the factory, but there's lots of other types of paint that look pretty close to the original.  You can see how I spray the factory paint.  Fast forward to about 12:00 minute mark:

truckinman466

6pack70, Is that done with rattle cans or spray gun?

6Pack70

The self etch and fine texture Rustoleum was rattle can and the Trim Black was spray gun.   :bigthumb:

Burdar

QuoteWhat is the proper color black for my dash frame? My car is tx9. Would that be too shiney?

Depends what year you're working on.  The earlier years it was suede.(textured)  The later years just got painted a satin black.  I used SEM Trim Black.

Daveh

I had mine media blasted and then powder coated satin black.  Cost me $100.00 money well spent. 

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Daveh on February 11, 2019, 09:40:16 AM
I had mine media blasted and then powder coated satin black.  Cost me $100.00 money well spent.

I probably should have done this. That thing is kind of a bear to get done up right. The added powdercoat durability is a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs