Main Menu

Rallye Dash Differences

Started by 71383bee, September 20, 2017, 03:11:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71383bee

Hello all. 

I'm new to the site and I'm confident this is asked or may be well known, but I'm trying to educate myself between the subtle difference between the rallye gauge clusters of the various years.  Is it possible to post pictures of the differences? 

Thanks!
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

JS29

I can't help you with pictures but I can ex plane the differences.  the reset knobs for the clock and speedometers are in the bezel on 1970-71 models and through the lens's on 1972-74 models. 8 thousand RPM tac 70-71, 7 thousand RPM 72-74. there is A seat belt warning lamp on the right side of the bezel 72-74.  :alan2cents:                         

70/6chall

A great big MOPAR welcome to the forum 71383bee, from SoCal.  Thanks,   Al

Cuda Cody

Welcome @71383bee   :welcome: 

That's a good question and there are some small difference that will help you identify the 70/71 rallye gauges vs the later years.  JS29 nailed the main differences.

1970 and 1971 are the most desirable and normally god for the most money.  The things you want to look for are the knobs coming through the woodgrain.  That changed later on and they put the knobs in the gauges.

The tach is another one to keep an eye on.  The 70 and 71's had 8,000 RPM tachs and later that changed to 7,000 RPM.

You can also look on the back of the gauges and they should have a four digit 10,000 day Julian date stamp. https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/mopar-chrysler-10000-day-calendar-date-code/julian-perpetual-chart-decoder/  Click on the second photo below and you can see the four digit date stamp of 3149 which is the 314th day of 1969 (it's a 1970 dash)

Later model rallye gauges got a seat belt light on the right side (passenger) of the cluster.  You can see in the 3rd photo the seat belt light and also the 7k tach and knobs in the gauge lenses. 

Hope that helps.  Let me know if you need more help.

nsmall

@Cuda Cody

Did you restore the piece of trim behind the stereo as it looks textured and mine is unfortunately smooth but my heater trim is textured so it's going to look weird?

Ill attached a picture of my 72-74 Rally gauges that I just had restored but it's looking like I actually have 70 or 71.  I'll attach a copy of the receipt too.

To have rallye gauges fully restored by Red Lines it's going to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,200.... ouch.

Cuda Cody

I re-texture my panels (even if they are new) so they match perfectly to each other.  Your radio bezel will look perfect if you re-texture it.

Cuda Cody

You have an 8k tach, but the bezel and other gauges are 1972+.  Someone might have replaced the 7k tachometer with an 8k or maybe they put a 8k sticker in it.  What is the date on the back of the tach?

nsmall

@Cuda Cody

I'm not sure of the year.  I had my tach restored so I hope it matches with whatever I have going on there. It looks good.

Spikedog08

Quote from: Cuda Cody on September 20, 2017, 04:53:44 PM
You have an 8k tach, but the bezel and other gauges are 1972+.  Someone might have replaced the 7k tachometer with an 8k or maybe they put a 8k sticker in it.  What is the date on the back of the tach?

Hmmm my 72+ has an 8 grand tach as well . . I've had it since 82.  I always thought that was weird . . .
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

6bblgt

early '72s used up the inventory of 8K tachs - what's the SPD of your car?

nsmall

My Cuda is a 73.  So I guess mine is wrong.  Not sure of the specific build date.  Not sure what "SPD" means.  Please school me on that one.  It was only reading 2k off at 4000 RPM.  Thanks

cataclysm80

Quote from: nsmall on September 20, 2017, 10:34:30 PM
  Not sure what "SPD" means.  Please school me on that one.

SPD = Scheduled Production Date
Most people find it on the fender tag.

cataclysm80

Quote from: Cuda Cody on September 20, 2017, 04:53:44 PM

Is that also a 70-71 clock in his picture?  I don't see the reset knob coming through the lens.

cataclysm80

The seat belt light was federally mandated January 1st 1972.  Earlier built 1972 cars may not have the light.