Main Menu

Rear Power Window Installation Question

Started by Daveh, December 08, 2018, 08:17:51 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey Guys,

I just installed my rear power windows on my 71 Challenger and I have a question.  I replaced the motors, cleaned everything up and replaced a couple of the plastic pieces that came in the rebuild kit.  Then greased everything and installed them. 

Everything went straight forward.  I marked the locations of all of the adjusting bolts and installed them in the same spots.  One window goes up slower than the other and I'm trying to figure out where is could be getting jammed up or is it the old battery that I'm using?  The other window goes up better but the one just creeps up and down. 

Is there any particular area I should be looking to make the window go up and down easier?  Thanks

Dave

anlauto

Could be just an old tired motor? Were they operating the same when bench testing them ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Are you powering them through the switches or directly off a battery with test leads?

Daveh

The motors are all new and I'm using a Power Probe to switch them on and off. 

anlauto

Well then it sounds like it's binding somewhere, check the guides, make sure they're sliding on the correct position. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on December 08, 2018, 09:47:05 AM
Well then it sounds like it's binding somewhere, check the guides, make sure they're sliding on the correct position. :dunno:

Yup, something is binding...  As Alan mentioned earlier, how did they run out of the car?   New sliders aren't always better, the originals often fit better...

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on December 08, 2018, 10:09:09 AM
Quote from: anlauto on December 08, 2018, 09:47:05 AM

New sliders aren't always better, the originals often fit better...

I agree with that....power windows especially need to be loose...for less resistance 

Daveh

The old motor was dead so I have no reference point.  Like I said they went in smoothly and everything fits well.  I couldn't use the old sliders they were pretty much thrashed.  Looks like the windows got used pretty good over it's lifetime. 

Are there any specific locations that I should be looking at to make adjustments to loosen it up?     

1 Wild R/T

Take the center bolt out, disconnect the drive arm & reinstall the bolt.... How does the window slide?  The fact the motor was smoked makes me think it was binding before too....   

anlauto

Do both regulators have the large coil spring on them ?

Daveh

Is this the center bolt you are referring too?  Is their a specific adjustment/tension for this bolt or do you just tighten it down?  It seems odd with the spring and all.  Thanks again.

1 Wild R/T

That's the center bolt, but I was wrong, it's the rear bolt you should remove.... Basically I want the drive arm from the regulator detached to isolate whether the binding is in the window tracks of the regulator.... 

There is no adjustment or the center bolt, just tighten it down, the spring allows things to move a little to reduce the chance of binding...

anlauto

Here's your problem right here....The plastic slide is sitting on top of the track and not in the proper groove...

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on December 08, 2018, 01:47:25 PM
Here's your problem right here....The plastic slide is sitting on top of the track and not in the proper groove...

Good Eye!! Yup I agree 100%...

anlauto