Main Menu

Tuff Wheel installation

Started by headejm, August 06, 2024, 08:57:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

headejm

My car is 1970 Challenger with the standard steering column and steering wheel. I'd like to ad a Tuff Wheel just for comfort and to aid in steering.

What do I need (besides the Tuff Wheel) in order to install the new wheel? I don't believe it bolts directly to the column without some extra parts. Thanks!

toadstool

My 70 Cuda was bolt on, the horn button different.   Since there is a gap you need to go to Nupar for the right one
70 Cuda Convertible

headejm

Do I need this installation kit?

Bullitt-

Does your current wheel have this horn switch?  It appears to be standard for most mopars of the era.
  If so I believe all you need is an appropriate button.
ck out Nupar offerings https://forum.e-bodies.org/deals-coupons-vendor-specials-and-product-reviews/16/nupar-products-holiday-special/23616/msg279930#msg279930

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134974288115

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Brads70

headejm

Grant 1004 leather wrapped steering wheel. Yes, direct bolt-on for factory 3-spoke 1970 wheel. Had to enlarge the hole in the horn switch to accept the new horn button. Other than that, no problems. Can't wait to drive it.

MoparCarGuy

I ran a factory Tuff wheel that I hand-wrapped with a leather cover kit. Looked great for over 20 years but the problem with a Tuff wheel in an E-Body is the Rallye instrument cluster's turn-signal indicators are blocked by the Tuff wheel. The smaller diameter is the issue.

I just installed a repro Rimblow and I can actually see the turn signals!

Katfish

Quote from: headejm on August 10, 2024, 01:16:50 PMGrant 1004 leather wrapped steering wheel. Yes, direct bolt-on for factory 3-spoke 1970 wheel. Had to enlarge the hole in the horn switch to accept the new horn button. Other than that, no problems. Can't wait to drive it.

Curious what you had to mod to mount the horn button?
Thought the Grant button is same size as the factory parts?

headejm

The "spring fingers" on the new Grant horn button are a larger diameter than the "spring fingers" on the factory 1970 horn button. I had to enlarge the inside diameter of the factory horn switch. Used a Dremel with a grinding wheel and sandpaper to smooth it out.

Katfish

Interesting, Thx for the info.
How much are we talking, 1/8" off all the way around?

Brads70

It's been awhile but I seem to remember .030" or so....

headejm

I'd say pretty close to .030". Trial and error until correct size achieved. Wanted to make sure I didn't go too large because then the factory horn switch would be ruined. I guess I'll keep the Tuff Wheel on for awhile now since the original horn button no longer fits the horn switch.