Main Menu

Weird 1971 Challenger Window Motor Question

Started by Daveh, May 10, 2017, 07:02:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

UPDATE:

Well I found a Pep Boys with the motor 742-300 that you suggested.  I went and purchased it was excited brought it home and the holes aren't even close to lining up with my regulator.  I just don't get it.  It has to be something different with the convertible vs the hard top regulators.  I guess I'm going to have to use the rebuilt units and fab a plate to make it work.  Thanks for trying guys. 

1 Wild R/T

That makes no sense, the plate the motor mounts to has been used from around 65 through about 82.... The gears & arms are changed for different applications but the main mounting plate is the same... Could you post a picture?

anlauto

Other than being "right" or "left" all E Body motors are the same.

If that Dorman number worked for one E Body as @1 Wild R/T suggests, then it will work for all E Bodies.

Do you have factory regulators in your car ? :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Daveh

I agree it's weird but that's what came on the car.  I didn't take a picture of it and have it bolted into the car now.  If I have to take it out I will take some pics.  I have the same regulator on the drivers side which was in when I got the car and works fine. 

However in my first post the two motors in the picture are the same with the exception of the hole orientation.  The purple one is what was in the car.  The regulator has 2 plates that attach to the teeth on the regulator and 3 bolts are attached on each side.  The 2 plates are sandwiched on either side of the motor and bolted together.

I tried to take some pics with it in the car after I put it in. 

1 Wild R/T

That's an E body regulator.... However the motor is an odd duck... And I believe thats where all the confusion is coming from.... Normally the motor is turned 90 degrees from your installed position....

1 Wild R/T

Photo obviously is rear regulators both coupe & convertible but see how the motor is turned 90 degrees from yours.... The other day when I commented on the small screw being in the wrong location was a clue.....

71GranCoupe

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 11, 2017, 04:44:51 PM
Photo obviously is rear regulators both coupe & convertible but see how the motor is turned 90 degrees from yours.... The other day when I commented on the small screw being in the wrong location was a clue.....

The pictures Wild posted are spot on for E bodies. The books say there is a specific regulator for the verts, but back in the 80's I installed regulators out of a hard top into a vert and no cutting was required. Post pictures when/if you pull yours back out and will help diagnosis for you.  :cheers:

Blake@diyhemi.com

I wonder if the motors are installed opposite on your car @Daveh . You may have passenger side motors on driver and vise versa. That could explain the clocked position you are seeing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Blake@diyhemi.com on May 11, 2017, 06:55:17 PM
I wonder if the motors are installed opposite on your car @Daveh . You may have passenger side motors on driver and vise versa. That could explain the clocked position you are seeing

Negative... If those motors were swapped the motor body would interfere with the regulator.... I think the motor is from a 71-72 B body which is very similar to an E body but the motor mounts differently..

Daveh

1 Wild R/T is correct the motors can't be swapped.  They wouldn't fit in the regulator at all.  I got everything in and here is some of the detail with a fun twist, NOT.

The motor was oriented correctly in the regulator if it wasn't then the bracket that attached to the end of the motor and then the inside of the door wouldn't match up.  Everything lined up just fine.  It's a little tricky to install the window when you're by yourself and you didn't remove the guts personally.  Everything was in boxes when I got the car.  You know how that goes.   :)  A second set of hands to hold the window while I lined everything up would have been great.  I had to get a pair of my gloves with rubbery tips so I wouldn't drop the window.  Thank goodness the other side was still in for reference.  The trick for me was to leave the vertical bracket closest to the 1/4 panel off and left it inside the door while installing the window.  So when I had the window stationary I just bolted the bracket in on the guide.

Now the twist.  Remember this was a rebuilt motor.  So as I was testing with my Power Probe and attempting to adjust the window the motor stopped intermittently and then stopped completely.   :headbang: I thought I didn't power the motor up that much where it overheated.  Maybe 5 times.  I spent the next hour trying to figure this out.  Then it hit me in the forehead literally.  As I was looking inside the new wire that was soldered to the old one sticking out of the motor hit me in the face.  Whoever soldered it did a crap job. 

There is only about 3/4" of the old wire sticking out of the motor and very difficult to get to.  But doable.  So do I remove everything entirely and repair or try to fix it in place?  I will probably do it in place because I don't feel like taking it all out.  What's a few more curse words...

In the end I think Convertibles have different regulators because it fit in fine once I figured it all out.  Remember the windows are different also. 

It's late and I'm rambling.  Thank you all for all of your comments and suggestions.  As always you guys were a huge help. 

Dave

Blake@diyhemi.com

So the aftermarket motors worked after all?

1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

1 Wild R/T

70-71 Challenger & Barracuda power window regulator assembly with motor.....  Front assemblies are the same whether a 23/27 or 29

If your not familiar with reading the Mopar Parts Manual all the same codes from fender tag reading pretty much apply...   
J = Challenger
B = Barracuda
23 = Hardtop
27 = Convertible
29 = SE

And I let the bottom run long so the E body.org watermark didn't block the pertinent info.... So
R = Satellite
W = Coronet

cataclysm80

I agree with Randy and the Parts Book.
E body door window regulators are either Barracuda manual, Challenger manual, or power, with no differences for convertibles on any of the door regulators.

Barracuda & Challenger use different manual regulators.  The difference is the crank shaft length, due to the different interior panel design.
Barracuda manual regulators mount in different holes than Challenger manual regulators.  (see attached pics)
The power regulators mount the same on Barracuda & Challenger, but in different holes than the manual regulators. (see attached pics)
The manual regulator has 58 teeth, while the power regulator has 56.
I've attached pics of both for comparison.

cataclysm80

E body quarter window regulators are either Barracuda manual, Challenger manual, power hardtop, or power convertible.

Barracuda & Challenger use different manual regulators.  The difference is the crank shaft length, due to the different interior panel design.
Barracuda manual regulators mount in the same holes as Challenger manual regulators.  (see attached pic)
Barracuda & Challenger manual regulators are used in hardtops & convertibles.  Nothing special about convertible manual regulators.
The power regulators mount the same on Barracuda & Challenger, but in different holes than the manual regulators. (see attached pic)
Because the power regulators mount differently than the manual regulators, the power regulators on convertibles need some extra clearance.  Convertible quarter window power regulators are different than hardtop quarter window power regulators.
The convertible quarter window power regulators have some notches cut into them.  The notches in the convertible regulators are to provide clearance for the wheelwell cap & the convertible well bracing, the standard regulator will work but the window doesn't quite roll all the way down.  You can cut the notches into a hardtop quarter window power regulator to make it work better in a convertible.
The manual regulator has 46 teeth, while the power regulator has 56.
I've attached pics of them for comparison.

Daveh

Awesome information thanks guys.  I'm all set last night I dialed in the windows and they work great.  Thanks for all of your help.