Main Menu

What Is The Best Chemical To Remove E-Body Instrument Cluster Adhesive

Started by 1970GranCoupeConvert, April 26, 2021, 05:40:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1970GranCoupeConvert

What is the proper solvent to remove the adhesive that adheres the "wood grain" decal to the instrument cluster metal bezel of an E-Body?

I peeled off the reproduction wood grain decal that I installed about 20 years ago and I am really struggling with getting the adhesive removed from the metal bezel.

Have tried acetone, lacquer thinner, and Goof Off and they just turned the sticky residue into really sticky residue globs.

Even tried to bead blast the residue off and it is taking forever...kinda like trying to bead blast rubber.

What is the best chemical to remove this stuff?????????????????????????????????

THANKS

Floyd

jimynick

Wow, I'd've gone the acetone route, but you say it just makes the glue stickier! What if you submerged the part in it and left it for a day or two? Then take a single sided razorblade and scrape the schmutz off? Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Skdmark

Quote from: Floyd on April 26, 2021, 06:07:57 PM
Maybe try Easy Off?

X2

I just used Zep oven cleaner same as EZ off. Worked great. Just don't let it dry on the plate.
Use a plastic scraper. I use plastic razor blades, you can get a box of 100 from Amazon relatively cheap.

I'm in the process of repainting the black around the perimeter and the brown around the gauge pods. The brown looks black in the photo due to the lighting. Was able to color match it before stripping.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

1970GranCoupeConvert

Skdmark

Quote from: 1970GranCoupeConvert on April 27, 2021, 07:36:09 AM
Oven cleaner...never would have thought of that.

THANKS!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Wear rubber gloves and have good ventilation.
Good to do outside on some newspaper and rinse with a hose after scraping.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

1970GranCoupeConvert

So I tried some generic oven cleaner and it did not help much...yes it helped just a little.

The nearest town from my house is 25 minutes away and I was getting ready to drive into town and get some 3M adhesive remover however I threw the metal bezel in the bead blaster and I just bit the bullet and im-patiently blasted off the rubbery goo one little speckle at a time and I discovered that aiming the gun at a 45 degree angle (as opposed to the usual 90 degree frontal assault) the goo would dislodge a little better so...finally...I got all of the goo off of the bezel.  The process took about 10 minutes less time than the round trip to get the 3M from the local auto parts store.

This has got to be worth 3 banannas...

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Skdmark

Glad you found way to get it clean.
What are your plans on refinishing it?
-Harlan Ellison

Burdar

I removed the original decals with a steam cleaner.  It took a little time but it loosened up the glue nicely.  Another option is the 3M Adhesive remover.  The person who installed my vinyl top got glue overspray all over the place.  The Adhesive remover took the glue off without damaging the new paint.

1970GranCoupeConvert

I do not know if the adhesive is from the original decal or from the replacement decal I installed about 20 years ago.  Perhaps I did not remove all of the adhesive back then...dont remember now.

The car is fully restored however the decal section around the speedo was peeling off so I bought a new decal to freshen it up a bit.