Main Menu

Hemi Swap: Transmission choices for Gen III 392 Hemi

Started by 392 Cuda, November 07, 2018, 06:03:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

392 Cuda

I'm almost ready to start my hemi swap and I cannot make a decision on the transmission.

My Build:
- 74 Barracuda, original 318
- 392 Crate motor and Mopar engine controller, TTI 3" exhaust
- AlterKtion front suspension and Street Lynx rear suspension
- Wilwood 12.19" drilled/slotted all around, manual 15/16 master cylinder

I live downtown Chicago, and I don't think a 6-speed would be much fun if the traffic.

Transmission options:
- 727 with manual valve body, GearVendors overdrive
- A41 Perfect fit transmission
- Wait for a good 8 speed kit and find a boneyard trans (soundgermanautomotive.com claims to have figured out the harness, but has not yet produced any kits)

What stall torque converter?

I would appreciate any experiences or opinions...

1 Wild R/T

RUNCHARGER

I have to admit the 8 speed in my truck is pretty darn impressive. It's the best automatic I've driven by far.
Sheldon

392 Cuda

@1 Wild R/T, I thought the 518 required more customization, and still required a manual overdrive. Is it easier than I am thinking?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: compugod on November 07, 2018, 07:21:56 PM
@1 Wild R/T, I thought the 518 required more customization, and still required a manual overdrive. Is it easier than I am thinking?

518 bolts right up to your Hemi, it requires trimming excess webbing from the transmission to allow the trans to fit into the tunnel & a custom crossmember which US cartool sells....     http://store.uscartool.com/Transmission-Crossmember_c_82.html

Patc sells parts to make the O/D & convertor lockup to work automatically...    https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/patc-727-to-518-46rh-conversion-kit-click-here-for-727-to-46rh-swap-wiring-diagram/

1973Barracuda

If you are looking for a 518, I have a NLU two pin rebuilt I need to sell. I have the crossmember as well.

Jason

Katfish

I've been running a 518 behind my 340 for 2 yrs now and it's the best mod to date.
My next project is the Gen3 swap and the plan is to bolt up the 528.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 1973Barracuda on November 08, 2018, 01:24:34 AM
If you are looking for a 518, I have a NLU two pin rebuilt I need to sell. I have the crossmember as well.

Jason

Whats the going rate for that trans? my Warlock needs one.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

303 Mopar

I had the 727 manual valve body on the 392 originally and while it worked it was not much fun.  I did a swap to a Passon 4 spd OD and it really woke up the Hemi.  This engine loves a manual trans if you can swing it, plus its way more fun driving the car rather than just riding along IMO.   :burnout:

392 Cuda

@Katfish, Did you have to modify the tunnel for the tail of the 518?

Katfish

No floor pan mods needed, direct bolt-in with the cross member.

Hemi1632

We are putting a 5.7 in a 72 Challenger. I have a NAG1 and a 545 but decided to go with silver sports A41 auto. It all fits in the existing location, you retain the slap stick shifter. They even make a plate that is the same as original except it says 1,2,3, D instead of 1,2,D.

https://shiftsst.com/articles/cat/mopar/post/challenger-barracuda-1970-1974-perfectfit-kit/

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site @Hemi1632  :wave:
Share some more info on your car & introduce yourself  :bigthumb:

Hemi1632

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 12, 2019, 05:55:14 AM
Welcome to the site @Hemi1632  :wave:
Share some more info on your car & introduce yourself  :bigthumb:

Will do, I just don't want to hi jack this thread