Main Menu

New member from northern colorado

Started by 74northerncruster, August 25, 2023, 09:03:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

Quote from: 74northerncruster on August 26, 2023, 07:54:59 AM
Quote from: cuda hunter on August 25, 2023, 09:52:02 PM
Howdy and welcome from Central Colorado.
I have spent a bunch of time in Northern Colorado hunting dinosaurs.

Let's see some more pics of your awesome car!  Where in Wyoming did you get it from?

Cuda hunter, good to see some folks from the region. i can say likewise for hanging around exit colorado, fly fishing is one of my favorite past times. what kind of dinsoaurs have you been hunting? i found the car in basin wyoming. the wifes family reunion was in thermopolis and being as close as we were, i wasnt going to miss it! ill add some more pictures as i get it out and work on it im in the process of selling the last finished project to clear up the space.

My North Central dinosaur escapades are mostly Jurassic in nature. 
I have an Apatosaurus leg bone, an Allosaurus upper leg bone with possible tooth embedment, a great diplodocus tail vertebra with a few pieces of the adjacent vertebra, what I believe to be a piece of a chewed up bone in form of coprolite and an Allosaurus tooth from the allosaurus upper leg bone site. 
The owners of the land found an awesome stegosaurs tail spike with definite teeth embedding that was most likely preyed upon.  There is another site that I buried that had several flattened vertebra.  It was the end of the season so I assumed I would resume work the next spring.  My good friend had a massive stroke and they sold the ranch to pay for the bills.  I lost the ability to continue excavating. 
Right next to this property is a creek that sometimes would allow a pretty long diplodocus track way in the stone creek bottom.  Same site has Jurassic algae of which I did get a few pieces.  The Algae site is a lost Colorado site according to the fossil collecting groups. 
  A very near area of Cretaceous exposure (Trex era) had given me a great turtle fossil that has both the carapace and the plastron intact.  Probably has bones in it (hopefully).  I have not prepared this specimen.
Not a dinosaur but a cool fossil.   
You asked, I can talk dinosaurs for hours. 

Basin is a pretty area of Wyoming.  Mesa area, right?    Some fossils in that area as well.

Can't wait to see more pics of the car. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

Quote from: jimynick on August 26, 2023, 09:23:11 AM
Welcome to the site from Ontario,  :canada: and congrats on your score! Josh, what're you using when you're hunting dinos? A 50 BMG would be a minimum, wouldn't it?  :bigthumb:

Actually, a 22 long. 
Every animal on the American continent has been killed with a 22.  Dinosaurs are no different.
  (actually, rattlesnake gu n )   
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

74northerncruster

wow cuda hunter that sounds really fascinating, I've never met anyone who was so commited to the search for dino remains in this area. love to see your passion coming through your discussion and anyone who can talk about something for hours clearly has a deep love for it. sorry to hear about your friend, its too bad the new owner wont let you excavate. yes basin is a nice area, friendly folks too. i was going to meet the man who sold me the car and the address he gave me sent me down an irrigation access road (which never happens i know) and the ditch rider came up on me and was understanding of my mistake, and actually knew who i was looking for, and gave me step by step driving directions for the extra 35 miles i missed the mark haha!

Quote from: Dakota on August 27, 2023, 08:38:25 AM
:wave: Welcome to the site from Ft Worth, Texas.   If you get your rebuild done over the winter, I will stand and applaud you.   It took me 8 years.   Best of luck with your project!  As others have said, there is a lot of info in the various threads on this site along with great help with any questions from the community.
let me rephrase my prior statement, i plan to start the project this winter, but this project wont be done for quite a while. i have a very young family with a wife planning on growing the family more, while i am the only provider for the family so.... yeah i think some of you may know what i am getting at..