Main Menu

New to forum

Started by Ccuda, April 24, 2021, 01:33:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Ccuda

Hello Everyone,
New to the forum and have been reading posts here for a while. Just Bought an AAR and haven't been able to drive it for 2 months now. Thought a left front turn signal and horn not working was the only problem and would be an easy fix. Surprise, after turning on the emergency flashers the signal still didn't work and the flashers slowed down to a crawl. Looked inside the car and saw smoke coming from under the steering wheel. After new turnsignal switch wiring I figured that would solve the problem but still have the same problem with the smoke. Added new ignition wiring but found lock cylinder was JB welded and now I'm waiting for a new cyl. Hoping I'll have it all done by May and could use any suggestions on the issues. This is one sweet AAR. All new wiring except for the  main Fuse panel harness.
Ccuda

7E-Bodies

Welcome to the forum. Beautiful car. You've asked the question to the right group. Hope it all works out soon. There are 4 very informative videos if you need to get into your steering column. They are posted on our main page.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

dodj

:clapping:
Agreed! Very nice car!

What new ignition wiring did you run?

Did the smoke come from the e-flasher?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

Great looking car. welcome.
Sheldon

JS29

:welcome: Would like to hear more about it!   :handshake:

anlauto

Well you found the best E Body web site in the world, welcome. My suggestion would be to swap the main dash harness as well....smoke is never a good thing. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

:welcome:  Nice AAR, sorry I'm not much help with electrical

Spikedog08

Love the car!  Welcome to the site!  I would be pretty happy with that in my garage!   :clapping:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Dakota

Welcome to the site from Buffalo, NY. 

Electrical issues are never fun.  Before you make a decision about replacing the main panel or not, you'd do well to at least open it up and inspect it.  Mine was working but badly cooked.  Year One sells harnesses made M&H which are accurate and excellent reproductions.

As time and money permit, you may want to consider reviewing other threads here about doing an ammeter bypass and adding relays for the headlights as these changes help reduce the electrical load through the main panel. 

anlauto

Quote from: Spikedog08 on April 24, 2021, 05:05:03 PM
Love the car!  Welcome to the site!  I would be pretty happy with that in my garage!   :clapping:

Not if it catches fire and burns the garage down :o ...PLEASE be disconnecting your battery every time you're not around the car, at least until you can get to the bottom of your electrical issues :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jimynick

I'd be taking a pretty good look at the main firewall connector ASAP. They're notorious for accumulating corrosion that causes resistance, that causes overheating of the terminal connectors. As mentioned, smoke is NOT a good thing and it'd be the great pity to burn that sweetheart down, let alone take the house or a loved one with it. Alan has given you some really good advice when he said to disconnect the battery! Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

CudaMoparRay

:welcome: from Riverside , California

cudamadd

Welcome and a very nice AAR love that colour  :australia:

Smallblock340

:welcome: to the site from Netherlands! Great looking AAR!  :twothumbsup:
Good luck with solving the electrical issues!
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ

Ccuda

Smallblock340,  Checked out ur YouTube, Great looking Challenger! What kind of HP did you get from the Dyno test?
Ccuda