Main Menu

New to Mopar world with a 71 Cuda 383 Shaker

Started by fuscobros, October 26, 2020, 02:50:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

fuscobros

fuscobros

Yeah, I understand you're talking about the moldings around the back glass itself not the chrome along the bottom of the vinyl top.  I lifted up the louvers and double checked.  The molding is chrome not black.  The pics make it hard to see, but they are definitely chrome.

anlauto

Thanks for the clarification...that's odd for sure.. :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fuscobros

So here's the story...and it's a good one. 
I got divorced in 2009...fast forward to 2014.  I'm sitting around the dinner table with my new girlfriend, her brother and his wife at their house.  Back in the late 60s they emigrated here from Central America.  Somehow we get talking about old cars and how I have a 68 GTO convertible in my garage I bought in 1985 that I want to restore some day.  Well he says, "My wife and I have a Cuda".   I'm thinking there's no way they have a Cuda....  I figured he mis spoke or I misunderstood him because of his accent.
I say, "You mean you HAD a Cuda"....he says "No, we HAVE a Cuda...it's in the garage."
Not knowing if it's restored, in pieces, wrecked, etc., I ask, "do you drive it?"
He says, "No, we haven't driven it in years.  It's old."

Now I'm intrigued...  but again I'm very doubtful so I say..." "Do, you mean a Barracuda"  He says, "No, a 1971 Cuda  C-U-D-A  my wife bought it when we were dating back in 1971 from the original owner when it had 5,000 miles on it"

At this point I'm thinking, how could this unassuming, non gear-head type, upper middle class 60 something couple living in an affluent community have a 1971 Cuda sitting in their garage....my mind starts racing....what if it's a HEMI?  Is it original?  Does it run? ....and of course the biggest question DO THEY WANT TO SELL IT!

At this point we walk out to the garage and there under the 40+ years accumulation of dust, blankets, extra parts, etc sits this numbers matching 383 Tor Red beauty.  THEN I notice the SHAKER!  I'm like WOW!  This is the stuff you dream about.  I immediately ask the important questions..."did you ever do any major work on it..i.e replace the engine, tranny, rear?  Is the SHAKER original? Are the louvers factory or aftermarket?  Does it run?
After a while it became clear the car was virtually untouched except for a replacement fender and front valance.  And a radiator swap out back in the mid 70's.  Also, new shocks from SEARS in 1979.  That's it...original everything else.
I asked if they wanted to sell the car.  He says, "Well it's my wife's  car...it's up to her".
She said "maybe someday...."
So from that point on in 2014 every time I saw them at holidays and family functions, visits etc. I would say, "Hey, how's my car doing?"  We would chuckle a bit, but I made it clear that I wanted to be first in line if they EVER wanted to sell the car. 
May 2020.  I get a text out of the blue from my future brother in law (yes, I proposed to his sister and we got married Aug 2020)  he wants to talk about the car.  We meet up and chat a while.  He tells me they are planning on retiring and moving south and his wife wants to sell the car.  I'm like GREAT!  How much?  Well, over the 6 years since first discussing the car he learned of it's rarity, and potential value (thanks to Graveyard Cars, Mecum, Barrett Jackson, etc.) 
I educate him a bit on the fact that many of the prices he is seeing are for HEMIS, 440 six packs, convertibles and other ultra rare vehicles or the cars are fully restored. He had a few guys look at it already and even had a very respectable cash offer, but wanted to give me the first opportunity to buy it.  He really didn't want to sell the car, but the reality was he did not have the know how or facilities to restore it himself.  Over the years I had also explained to him the cost to pay a shop to do a complete full restoration would most likely exceed the value of the car.  In the end I convinced him to sell it to me for the price the other guy offered, knowing that I could do much of the restoration myself and the bonus was the car would "stay in the family". (I even promised he could take the car for a drive once it's done so he and his wife could relive a little of their youth from back when they were dating)
On August 31st I had it flat bedded to my house.  Without divulging the exact figure I can tell you I paid what the car is worth based on what I've read here and on other sites.  After rebuilding the carb and some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders I fired the car up and it purrs like a kitten!  Moral of the story...you NEVER know where you're gonna find a rare gem.  I would have never guessed this couple owned this car for the last 49 years and it was sitting in that garage dormant for decades.   

RUNCHARGER

Wow: Great story and it seems like a deal that would be fair to both parties. It also sounds like you know how important it will be to preserve every factory installed part you can and that the car needs to be restored properly!
Sheldon

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Yellow71Cuda

:drinkingbud:  That is an excellent story!  Sounds like the Cuda is in great hands.  Congratulations.

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site from Panama
Cool find !!

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

fuscobros

Yeah, I'm happy with what I paid...fair deal all the way around.  Yes, in my opinion certain cars should be restored back to original using as many of the factory installed parts as possible.  Reproduction is ok when the original piece is missing or can't be salvaged, but to me if you can use the factory part (even if it's not 100% perfect) I think it makes for a better restoration.  If you're looking for maximum points at a show and want to foot the bill for NOS pieces vs. reproductions that's fine.  I think it all depends what your intentions are.   

anlauto

Well it will be a great car to restore regardless of what you paid, and if you can do a quality restoration yourself, you're lightyears ahead ! :twothumbsup:

I've restored a lot of nice 71 Cudas in my time, but never starting with one that nice. http://www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com/PAST-RESTORATIONS.html

CudaMoparRay

Morty426

chris NOS

Fish Tale

@fuscobros funny you should mention but I'm also a Pontiac fanatic (I love my early second gen Formulas!).  And I also own a '71 Cuda 383 auto!

Very cool optioned Cuda by the way.