Main Menu

Decently priced 489 case

Started by Rdchallenger, March 18, 2023, 06:53:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rdchallenger

Would anyone in the WV/MD/PA region happen to be willing to part with a 489 pumpkin minus the gears?
I currently have 3.91's in my car but really not trying to go to Carlisle with them installed as I-81 would be a nightmare. I have the original 2.76 gears that came with my car but need a pumpkin to install them in. Unfortunately all I have found are too far away and unwilling or too much to ship.

Thanks in advance.

Mr Cuda

A while back, Randy's ring and pinion  (the national chain) bought a bunch of 89 and 42 bare cases from me for $100 each.  I thought I'd scored, and probably did. 
Now it would be $100 or more to ship one.
I had to Google to see how far you'd be going,  120miles.
Still too far for 3.91's but out here 120 miles would get you nowhere 
  I'm always amazed that the population centers are so close on the east coast.
We're not texas, but 400miles could still be in the same state. 
Side note, on 2 back to back trips in the same car, the 3.23 got better mileage than the 2.76 that  I swapped to, for percieved excessive rpm. The 2.76 dropped the  engine below the cam profile and we lost 3mpg. It was quieter.
I know  this helps you 0%.

Rdchallenger

Quote from: Mr Cuda on March 18, 2023, 07:10:08 PM
A while back, Randy's ring and pinion  (the national chain) bought a bunch of 89 and 42 bare cases from me for $100 each.  I thought I'd scored, and probably did. 
Now it would be $100 or more to ship one.
I had to Google to see how far you'd be going,  120miles.
Still too far for 3.91's but out here 120 miles would get you nowhere 
  I'm always amazed that the population centers are so close on the east coast.
We're not texas, but 400miles could still be in the same state. 
Side note, on 2 back to back trips in the same car, the 3.23 got better mileage than the 2.76 that  I swapped to, for percieved excessive rpm. The 2.76 dropped the  engine below the cam profile and we lost 3mpg. It was quieter.
I know  this helps you 0%.

I figured as much with the 3.23 vs 2.76 with cam profile but since I have them laying around I might as well use them. Yes shipping is quite ridiculous anymore, but it seems as though everything is as far as pricing as concerned.

Moparmade

Just get some taller rear tires . haha

jimynick

I just bought a new 489 housing with billet caps and adjusters for $295 before shipping from DoctorDiff. if that helps.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

HP2

After finding and buying a case and paying for installation and associated parts to perform the install, I'd think it more economical to find someone in your area selling a complete, used case already with gears in it. A whole rear assembly could be cheaper than installing gears into a case.

I'd shop around some before pursuing a case and install.

Xghobo

Come get the whole rear for $100. On Long Island.