Main Menu

Reproduction Cuda convertible panels UPDATED

Started by anlauto, May 13, 2022, 07:10:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

larry4406

Tried a google search for Jeff Bobst and repro panels and only found an earlier similar thread on this board.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/interior/6/convertible-rear-panel/1190/

YYZ

Ah. James' name had escaped me at the time of the post.

Jeff Bobst is well known in Mopar circles and is at 2111 E Bremer in Waverly, Iowa.

Not sure if his current phone number, however, it's likely that another member has it on hand and can PM it to you.

mccannix

James Franken....guy was a genius at fabricating .
He did reproduction Cuda trim rings in zinc like originals, with numbers long before Mike at BEA and they were hard to tell from OEM.
He did shaker doors better than the current offerings...almost undistinguishable from OEM.
They did a better than on the market now, E-body 4 speed top plates, plus a host of other items.
James used to be with Jeff at most of the shows...and then one day.....
James decided to go back farming, where he is today.
Jeff would know if the tooling still exists

cudaman1970

James Franken converted my flat hood to a shaker hood around 15 years ago.  He used to stamp the gills into 70 fenders (one gill at at a time) to convert to 71 fenders - I still have a pair of fenders he did for me.

Jeff had some of those convertible panels in his shop about 5 years ago or so.  That was around the time that James sold most of his e-body stuff (some NOS Fenders and other items).  Last I heard, James still has a Challenger Convertible.  Not sure if the tooling is still around.

anlauto

Okay...So here's some photos taken minutes ago with the now painted Metro panels next to the painted Dash Top/Palco panels. All four painted with SEM Super White, which I mentioned matches the aftermarket seats really well. ;)

These are completely installed in their final resting place....OF COURSE I know the grain is not a perfect match, but I think overall, everything else lines up nice, they fit good and did require a little finesse to get them mounted, but name a reproduction part that doesn't  :dunno:

Pictures are for you John @Jay Bee 

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Jay Bee

Now that actually looks very good, nice job. I imagine one would have to be careful so as not to chip the paint. On '70's when the fronts retract the metal buckle is prone to hitting the door panel.

anlauto

Nice thing is that they are both molded in white plastic and that SEM paint touches up really easy too, but I hear ya :bigthumb: