Main Menu

SE top of door trim retainers needed

Started by Shawn, August 20, 2018, 09:55:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shawn

Hello, I'm in need of the retainers to secure the SE top of door trim for 70 challenger convertible.
I haven't found supplier for new, or any used ones for that matter.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fastmark

I wish I could give you some good news on these. The big clip may be found,but may be pricey. I bought some NOS. Ones for my sons car several years ago and I think they were the last ones the  guy had. The ones on either end usually can be reused because they are easy to take off. Just don't lose the nut and screw! The two or three( I forget how many exactly)  towards the front are all unique and impossible to find. People just pry them off and break them. They have to be removed from the bottom with the correct size deep socket and lots of patience. God luck. If you find a bunch off NOS ones, buy them all to sell them and retire! I've seen guys use a plastic clip but the are not even close to fitting.

Timbbuc2

This wont help you but I just bought a set for a HT, $299.99 for a complete set of clips. Would any of these clips be the same as a Convertible? :bigmoney: @Cuda Cody Would you know if some of the clips will inter change from HT to Vert?
Get in, I'll drive

Cuda Cody

I have never done a convertible so I do not know if they are the same.   :sorry:  I bet Alan would know!

1 Wild R/T

There is no SE convertibles...     SE is a 29 body code... Convertible is a 27 body code....  A convertible with the upgraded trim has package A62... The trim pieces from the doors forward are the same hardtop or vert.... FWIW the two fillers from the door to the convertible well are very hard to come by....

anlauto

As stated....the clips for the top of the door would be the same for hardtop and convertible. There are no clips on the fender or hood pieces.
The belt molding that goes directly below the quarter window (hard to find originals) are available in reproduction and do not require clips either. The three piece belt moldings that go around the convertible top opening require two different style clips which are easily found in reproduction as well.

As others have mentioned, in this thread, and other threads....the door clips are hard to find and expensive.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on August 21, 2018, 09:47:20 AM

The belt molding that goes directly below the quarter window (hard to find originals) are available in reproduction and do not require clips either.

Barracuda molding is reproduced, Challenger short non A62 molding is reproduced.... The long A62 Challenger molding is not reproduced... There was a short run but they had problems & the project was scrapped...

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 21, 2018, 10:05:50 AM

The belt molding that goes directly below the quarter window (hard to find originals) are available in reproduction and do not require clips either.

Barracuda molding is reproduced, Challenger short non A62 molding is reproduced.... The long A62 Challenger molding is not reproduced... There was a short run but they had problems & the project was scrapped...

I have a set of long A62 Challenger moldings here. I believe Gerome Verbert (sp?) was making them. They are very nice quality.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

750-h2

I paid about $10.00 for all the clips to install door and 1/4 mouldings on my SE. If the glass is out you can use " butterfly clips that are threaded and secured with a nut, these are readily available at any auto body store. With the windows out of the door you can reach the nuts to tighten them up as long as you use the factory location for the holes. This is not easy but very doable. Both front and back clips for the door mouldings are easy to make, just cut a piece of sheet metal that will slide inside the moulding, drill a 3/16 hole through it and JB weld a nut on top of the hole.   :cheers: 

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on August 21, 2018, 10:48:33 AM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 21, 2018, 10:05:50 AM

I have a set of long A62 Challenger moldings here. I believe Gerome Verbert (sp?) was making them. They are very nice quality.

Correct... My understanding id they don't follow the contour of the top of the quarter well, they will pull down but it puts pressure on the part & the paint....     

I'm guessing the set you have belong on a project?  Cause it they are gonna be for sale realize they aren't available anymore & have become very difficult to find....

kent_goins

did someone say the top of door SE mouldings are available through a guy. If so, I need both left and right top of door mouldings

KG

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: kent_goins on August 21, 2018, 11:57:23 AM
did someone say the top of door SE mouldings are available through a guy. If so, I need both left and right top of door mouldings

KG

No, used is your only option....  Well, maybe NOS... 

Timbbuc2

Quote from: Shawn Cary on August 20, 2018, 09:55:34 PM
Hello, I'm in need of the retainers to secure the SE top of door trim for 70 challenger convertible.
https://www.jimsautoparts.com/molding_clips.htm
Get in, I'll drive

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Timbbuc2 on August 21, 2018, 02:34:26 PM
Quote from: Shawn Cary on August 20, 2018, 09:55:34 PM
https://www.jimsautoparts.com/molding_clips.htm

Ordering parts from Jim's Auto Part's is like asking to get abused by Bubba.....  Squeal Like a Pig!!! 

Timbbuc2

Get in, I'll drive