Main Menu

WTB - 70 Challenger Original Drum Brake Master Cylinder Cap

Started by schlett7nu1, June 26, 2020, 01:55:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

schlett7nu1

Looking for an original unrestored drum brake master cylinder cap for my 70 Challenger survivor. Must have vent holes and no raised rib at corners. Minimal rust pitting is preferred. Any help is appreciated.
Dereck

Cuda Cody

Do you have a photo of what you are looking for?  I bet I have some but need to know what to look for when I pull these out.

Dakota

This is what was in my '70 Challenger - drum brakes on all 4 corners. 

If you want it, just PM me an address and I'll send it on it's way.  If you need more pics, just ask.

JH27N0B

That's an aftermarket master cylinder.
He's looking for the cap that's a bolt on style, not retained with a bale wire.
PG Classics sells it repro but he probably wants a nice original with patina.
https://pgclassic.com/236-mcc-mopar-1970-a-b-e-body-master-cylinder-cover/

schlett7nu1

All,
Thanks for the responses.  Over the winter I purchased one of the Dave Wise E-Body reference judging and restoration manuals.  Not inexpensive but it's 4" think and full of great info regarding factory parts and practices.  I'm one of those nut jobs who wants to keep the car bone stock.  So far based on the book I noticed my drum brake master cap is an aftermarket.  The master cylinder is original and dated.  Attached is a pic of what an original looks like courtesy of Dave's ref manual.  There's patina on all my plated engine parts.  So, a nice original cap with some patina would be great.  My car's made it 50 years relatively unmolested.  It's important for me to respect that.

6bblgt

@schlett7nu1   can you also post pics of your original master cylinder?   THANKS!

anlauto

I find it odd that you say your car has the "original" master cylinder, yet it has the wrong cap ? I wouldn't think just the cap would be an item that would be replaced ? Even at a rebuilders, I think it would be odd to replace the cap  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Katfish

So your just looking for the rubber gasket?
Maybe I'm not seeing it correctly, but wouldn't be seen under the lid?

schlett7nu1

Here's an image of my cap.  Based on Dave's reference guide it's an aftermarket.  Why only the cap would have been replaced is not clear.  Sure has plenty of patina.  Perhaps the gasket was leaking so a new cap with gasket was purchased at some point during it's life.  I'm speculating.

anlauto

I would never question Dave Wise :worship: , but I think he would have to document a heck of a lot of 70 E Bodies with drum brakes that still have their original master cylinders to definitively say what is absolutely correct and what is not....How could he possibly confirm that it wasn't some sort of production run change made by the master cylinder manufacture ?  If their was part numbers or instruction information stamped on it, or some sort of identification to prove "aftermarket" vs "original" then I would say it would be obvious, but with the caps being very similar with only different styles of venting....I'm not so sure I would agree. JUST MY OPINION :alan2cents: 
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

In my research of master cylinders I saw a lot of that style drum brake part, but never paid close attention to the nuances of the lid.  I can say it was made by Bendix for '67-'70 model years at apparently multiple plants.  I've seen 3 different casting numbers on OE examples.  And Bendix continued to manufacture it as a replacement part well into the 80s.
It was used across the model lines on most drum brake cars during that era so literally millions were made, and there were some slight variations.
Also, the aftermarket companies like Wagner and Raybestos made service parts for these cars that didn't look like the original Bendix parts, they had bale wire retained caps like Dakotas picture.
So I don't know if any aftermarket company would have even sold that style cap.
In recent years, after everything moved to China, the aftermarket master cylinders do have a bolt on cap, but they look different.  One has to buy the PG repro to install on the recent aftermarket ones to make it look original.

Shoooter

This is the 1970 challenger one i had, thought it was original.  It's in members @xx88man  hands now

JH27N0B

The cap isn't OE, I can't tell about the casting from that picture but probably not OE either.

Shoooter

Shoooter

What about this one?