Main Menu

WTB an NOS set of ‘70 AAR strobe stripe decal set?

Started by Monsterzero, December 13, 2021, 08:24:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Monsterzero

I'm looking for a set of NOS strobe stripes for a 1970 AAR.
Please understand, I'm not asking to be lambasted for the viability of trying to install a 50 y/o. Set of decals, so kindly save your comments.
PLEASE let me know via PM, if you know of a set or have a set for sale.

Thanks!

Cuda_mark

I will be installing a 50yo hockey stick stripe on my car...I'll let you know how that goes. I have them, it's worth a shot.

JH27N0B

I don't have a set but will mention that we installed NOS T/A stripes on my car around 5 years ago.  The stripes weren't 50 years old but perhaps made in the early 80s.  They did come out fine.
I have heard of some people having issues with using NOS decal packages though.  It might be a hit or miss situation depending on how old they were, the environment they've been stored in over the years and maybe installation technique.
I had someone else do the installation, but I did install NOS Scat Pack bees 🐝 in my rear quarter windows and that was quite a chore getting them off the backing paper and not damaging the decal getting it off the backing!

Monsterzero

I too have heard that it is a hit or miss situation regarding whether or not the "old "decals/graphics come out OK or not. Having said that, I would much rather give it a shot and hope for the best since there is a difference between the original and the reproductions that are out there.

Monsterzero

I completely agree with you! And, good luck with the installation.

benguin

I do have a set that I picked up from Paul Slater who was a big source of Mopar parts for me way back in July of '86.  They've been coiled and in a storage box since then-- let me see what kind of shape they are in.

I got them for comparison to the repros available at the time.  PN on the quarter stripe is 3570560, they are on Scotchcal 3M film.  Not in the original box, but have been loosely coiled all that time.  The paper/backing has some staining, but the vinyl was still in good shape when last viewed.  I wasn't looking to sell them, but could I help with any reference measurements or pictures, if needed.

Monsterzero

I appreciate the offer to help with details and dimensions. Please let me know if you ever do decide to sell them, as I'd like to use them for my AAR, that I am having restored.

Fastmark

Opps. I forgot to reply to your PM about the NOS set I have. I'll do that now.

Monsterzero

benguin

@Monsterzero  What state are you and your car in?  Curious if you might be in the midwest?

Fastmark

Since were on the subject, what is wrong with the reproduction sets of stripes?

benguin

@Monsterzero I wasn't sure what shape my stripe sets were in, so I did lay them out on our pool table with plate glass on top to give them a rest from their loosely rolled storage.  We had a trip planned to Ohio to pick up my son for winter break, and I thought I'd get an expert to give me an opinion on them, even though I wasn't really looking to sell.

First off, this guy has a great shop and he was really generous with his time, and I took a number of hugely beneficial reference photos.   Secondly, I think you know this guy.  And he is now in possession of a survivor set of AAR stripes. 

anlauto

Do the "original Chrysler NOS" have any "texture" to them ?
I thought there were conversations where people were claiming the original material was no longer available and that it had a sight texture to it ?

Then didn't ECS come out with EXACT reproductions with the correct material for the T/A Challenger stripes ? Maybe they would be interested in coping your original AAR stripes ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

Quote from: anlauto on December 18, 2021, 08:23:12 AM
Do the "original Chrysler NOS" have any "texture" to them ?
I thought there were conversations where people were claiming the original material was no longer available and that it had a sight texture to it ?

Then didn't ECS come out with EXACT reproductions with the correct material for the T/A Challenger stripes ? Maybe they would be interested in coping your original AAR stripes ?
With issues I had with the drivers door stripe on my T/A getting damaged the first show I took it to after completing it (both me and the car are cursed!), I had to replace the stripe with another NOS piece a friend was kind enough to supply me.  And sadly it's texture is different than the rest of the NOS stripes on that side. The full set used had a date code on the boxes of either 87 or 89 I don't recall now which.  But that likely was the last batch of T/A stripes made by 3M. The replacement stripe was in a box dated '79
So the texture even varied between on OEM batches made from 1970 and late 80s.
Depending on the light the difference varies from hardly noticeable to pretty apparent under bright fluorescent lighting.  I bought a set of ECS stripes last summer and want to see if the fender texture matches the door stripe, either just replace the fender stripe or throw in the towel and replace that whole side with the ECS stripes depending on how things match.  I bought my NOS stripes in the early 90s for $100 but don't even want to think about what I've got invested in stripe issues on my car with all the problems I've run into!  :headbang:

Monsterzero

Quote from: benguin on December 17, 2021, 06:32:48 PM
@Monsterzero  What state are you and your car in?  Curious if you might be in the midwest?
I'm not, but the car is ;)