Main Menu

air compressor electric motor failed-advice wanted please

Started by Brads70, March 13, 2019, 07:06:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP_Cuda

:twothumbsup:

Had an issue with my Devilbiss 5hp 30 gallon compressor and it just shut off. Found out there was a piece that sucked in the air intake and got stuck. Pulled it apart and put it back together - works like a champ. This sucker is over 10 years old and running better than some of the newer compressors I got.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

dodj

Quote from: Brads70 on March 15, 2019, 05:04:39 AM
Quote from: dodj on March 14, 2019, 03:42:36 PM
Seeing as dust came out with vibration, it wouldn't hurt to blow the rest out once you get the compressor running again.  :alan2cents:
That won't cause any issues? I'm replying on my phone as the internet quit yesterday morning. Right after they upgraded it to high speed. LOL. "Mama said some days will be like this" haha repair tech coming back today.. 

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
No
We blow out motors monthly at work.
Although you have an A/C motor, so all the dust you mentioned may be just from the surface/cooling fins and there may be no openings to the inside of the motor.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

chargerdon

Glad all it was the keyway !!   

Just an FYI...I have a 20 yr plus, Twin cylinder campbell-hausfeld 12 gal Compressor that the motor finally went bad.   Im sure it could be repaired but would probably cost more than a new motor to repair in todays world.   It sits on top of the tank on a platform and runs the compressor itself via a v-belt.   So, I went to el-cheapo Harbor Freight and bought their 2 hP compressor motor.  It bolted right in.   You can wire it for either 115 or 230vV motor.   I have mine at 115V and it runs great...the motor if i remember was around $159 but using the 20% discount coupon (available just about anywhere), it ran about $125.   I chose this route instead of buying a new compressor because all of the ones under $200 are single cylinder and only produce about 4.0 CFM...You need to get into the $350-400 range to get a twin cylinder replacement.