Main Menu

Door hanger

Started by Tunis, October 01, 2017, 12:11:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Tunis

Hi,

I work in my garage alone 99% of the time and I don't want my wife to do any heavy lifting, so I do what I can to make things easier. I also love to build stuff  :)

This is not the first thing that I have built, but the first thing that I wanted to share with you that you can copy if you think it's a good idea. So why did I do it?
I find it really time consuming to hang the doors on a E-body. The doors are really heavy and a handful to get aligned properly when you do it on your own. I have had this idea for a while and thought that the time had come to build a device to make hanging the doors easier.

So I made the parts (after many hours of figuring out how they should look)

After painting, assembly and adding some rubber pads (the same pads that comes in AMD boxes to protect the corners of big sheet metal).

The base is a transmission jack that someone added some fork-like thing to. They where going to throw it away at work, so I took it.
I think it turned out great. It can tilt the door in both axis's and the jack will raise/lower everything to get it exactly where you want it.

Let me know if you want the measurements to build your own.

Per

Cuda Cody

That will come in really handy if you hang doors yourself.  I've been lucky and always had someone available to give me a hand.  Hanging them by yourself has got to be pretty challenging.   Nice job on the tool.   :ohyeah:

Roadman

:rebelflag"    That is awesome.     :bravo:

redgum78

Nice job! lots of time in creating that tool but well worth it.

anlauto

Awesome tool....You must plan to restore a lot of Cudas  :bradsthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dougdel

Great invention you have there. Get your patent now   :clapping:  way better than an engine hoist, ratchet straps and a whole lot of unmentionable words.  :haha:

Tunis

Thanks guys!

I spent around 15 hours building it, which I may not save by hanging the doors on my car. But I do know that I spent more than six hours hanging the doors on my Cuda and still not getting it perfect.

@dougdel I did do exactly that, using an engine hoist and straps and the damn door just keeps moving around.

@anlauto haha yes, I want to restore at least one more car, if I get the chance to do so.

To sum it all up, I probably spent more time than I will gain, but if I do another car I will be on the plus side. It only cost me some scrap metal and paint and time. Finally it was fun to do something different.  :)