Main Menu

Actual Production Date VS "Scheduled Production Date"

Started by 6bblgt, February 21, 2017, 02:17:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

~3,580 Plymouth dealer franchises (1/1971)

1970 Plymouth Barracuda
45,788 assembled at Hamtramck, MI
9,711 assembled at Los Angeles, CA
55,499 total

50,627 shipped domestically (average 14 per franchise)
:crazytalk:
6 "customer orders"
4 "dealer spec'd"
4 "chrysler spec'd"

ALL of VONs info I have are below 200000

then there are the VONs with a letter "prefix" ...... etc.

6bblgt

"BALL PARK"
there could be huge ERROR here, but here goes  :crazytalk: ..... went thru the 1970 E-body data I have organized & came up with:
40% Y14 customer order
30% (blank) dealer order ??
30% Y16 Chrysler spec'd

200,000 VONs
60,000 available at Chrysler
140,000 available at dealerships (~40  per Plymouth franchise & ~45 per Dodge franchise)

less than 25% of the Barracuda order forms printed would've been used
less than 30% of the Challenger order forms printed would've been used

6bblgt

let's try a bigger "BALL PARK"  :yes:

Jan. 1971 franchise count:
Chrysler ~3,480
Plymouth ~3,580
Dodge ~3,065
total number of dealerships: 5,660

the ultimate average dealership with a Chrysler - Plymouth & Dodge franchise sold 418 "NEW" cars model year 1970
approximately 8 cars a week

C-bodies 151 cars
* Imperial 3
* Chrysler 46
* Dodge 30
* Plymouth 72

B-bodies 91 cars
* Charger 15
* Coronet 35
* Belvedere 41

E-bodies 39 cars
* Challenger 25
* Barracuda 14

A-bodies 137 cars
* Dart 56
* Valiant 81

TobiasM

@Cuda Cody : why so shy in posting that same 71 order form that you kindly supplied in the same topic I uploaded the 70 order form? Attachments are public on your messageboard, so anybody can see your posted 71 form anyway... :notsure:

@cataclysm80 : To supply at least a pic of any 71 Dodge order form, here is one...though it is for a Charger-model you get the idea of it...found it via google here: http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2005/05/mopp_0505_09_z-1971_dodge_charger-order_form.jpg

@6bblgt : like your "ball park" and playing with the numbers...will think about these numbers and to what conclusion these might lead us.

I am positive that we together will be successful in finding out how many order forms a pad/batch consisted of...I am really astonished that this seems to be an unsolved mystery.

Cuda Cody

The photos I have of other order forms I do not have permission to share.  There's a few blank ones out there too.  It's neat to see this info come to light and be able to help build an accurate guess on how things were done.  It's about the best we can do with the info we have right now. 

cataclysm80

Wow, you guys are simply amazing!

Some days, the "Like" button is just insufficient to convey how much I enjoy your posts.

cataclysm80

cataclysm80

Those numbers are averages, so some sold more and some sold less.  Probably a few higher volume dealerships really selling cars, and several not quite getting up to average.

For most of those cars, it looks like a pad of 25 order forms is a years supply.
I assume that dealerships had a way to ask for more order forms if they ran out, so higher volume dealerships could just ask for another pad later in the year, and that would probably carry them through.
It seems like it would be excessively wasteful to supply every dealership with a pad of 50 forms for most of those cars.

On the other hand, those A bodies are hot sellers.  I wouldn't be surprised to see those in pads of 50.
Maybe different car lines could have different sized pads.

Maybe they could just print everything in pads of 50, but if that were the case, would we see a lot more unused forms floating around?

Pads of 100 forms would just be absurd considering those sales figures.

cataclysm80

If the dealerships received regular shipments from Chrysler anyway, Technical Service Bulletins, more new cars, etc.  It wouldn't have been any big deal to supply more order forms along with that regular shipment.
Maybe there's only 10 forms on a pad. 

cataclysm80

It sure would be great to unlock this mystery, and start helping people figure out where there car was sold new.

I'd love to know where my car was sold new.

340challconvert

I was lucky and got some original paperwork with my A66 Challenger convertible when I bought it in 1980.
I have the original purchasers name, date if delivery and the dealership that sold the car in New Jersey

My car was sold by North Plainfield Dodge in North Plainfield, NJ.  Dealership number 59004
This dealership was not on Barry's dealer list (I sent the information to him for inclusion) Dealer no longer exists in previous form.

As I restore my car, I am recording date codes on parts and have determined that most of the original parts were from September 1969 through late October.  SBD was October 6th. Car was delivered to buyer on November 17th.

Always interesting comparing the data.

I am enjoying the postings taking place here regarding a ways and means to ID the dealers and other members car information.
:ohyeah:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

rocketresto

While not having to do with E-Bodies still thought this was interesting and might ad a little something on the VON debate.  A 1969 Daytona VIN list is out there that shows all the VON's for the cars before they were assigned a special order number (so these all were used but not used on the car).  Also the list has many more cars (ie the dealers ordered way more than 500) then actually made production.  So a bunch of Charger VON's that entered the system did not get made.
Rocket Restorations
Olympia, Washington

Morty426

Wow this is an awesome thread and I love the collaboration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 22, 2018, 10:46:55 PM

the large majority (99%) of VONs info I have are below 200000

I believe that.... When I first read it I figured I might have one late enough that it would be higher....   Not even close...

SPD 723
VIN JS29U0B440289
VON  184372

7E-Bodies

While realizing I'm a year and a half behind in stumbling onto this thread, it's just too good to remain quiet and not jump in. Until now, I've kept the last six of my vin hidden. Seeing the work done here, especially by @6bblgt I felt the need to contribute. He has already indicated to me in the past that I have one of the lowest VON's recorded. Hoping the attached pics of the two build sheets found in my car can help. What may be unreadable on one, is provided on the other and vise versa. Glad to kick this thread to the top again. I'm definitely appreciative of the work that's been done researching this.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green