Main Menu

Build Sheet Decoder Help "Front Brake"

Started by Cuda Cody, February 05, 2017, 12:07:43 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Everyday we're getting a little closer to finishing our site's first ever Build Sheet decoder.  Starting out with 1970's only because of all the code changes and sheet design changes each year, but the other years should be fairly easy to add once the framework is there.  It's the only way to make the work to the highest level of accuracy.

The code that we're cracking now is the line #4 on the far right of the page called "Front Brake".  Normal process is I comb through the Parts Catalog and line that information up with a few dozen build sheets and cross reference with a few other sources to confirm all the possible codes are in the program correctly.  But some of the sheet codes do not use the same Part Numbers as the Build Sheet code numbers.  This "Front Brake" might be another one of those codes that does not use the last digits of the part numbers.  Can you guys help me crack the code? Here's where I'm at now (this is not confirmed so don't write it down in stone yet)...  still working through it.

Here are the Front Brake codes I have, can everyone please check to see if you have anything different on your 1970 E-Body build sheet?  1970 only at this time.  (I'll do 71, 72 and so on later)

I think I have found a correlation to the between the Front Brake code and the Line 6 (B) H/DUTY OR DISC.

LINE 4
"FRONT Brake"
22 = Should have a blank spot in H/DUTY OR DISC?
23 = Should have B11 in H/DUTY OR DISC?
29 = Should have B41 in H/DUTY OR DISC?
59 = Should have B42 in H/DUTY OR DISC?

The factory working looking at the build sheet and building a K-Member would also most likely be adding the Sway Bar, Shocks and Control Arms and Brakes.  And all of these items are right next to each other on the build sheet too.  So I'm thinking that "Front Brake" code box could be used for steering knuckle, backing plate, brake lines or ???    :soshelp:   I have not been able to find the four codes above in the brake section of the parts catalog.  The only thing that I can find is this:

2880529  = 10 x 2 1/2 Front Brakes.  But that doesn't work with code 29 because code B41 is front disc brakes.  So scratch that.  And nothing else really lines up.  :thinking:

So I moved to the Suspension part of the part catalog.  Somewhere on a build sheet the worker needs to know what Steering Knuckle to use for the front brakes.  So I'm thinking that it might be the Spindles (Steering Knuckle)?   But would E-Bodies have 4 different steering knuckles?  I think there would just be 2, right?  Disc brake and drum brake.

So what could have to do with the front brakes for E-Bodies and they need 4 different parts?  Could it be the front brake lines and or proportioning valves?  I think the key in this puzzle is what is the difference in the front brake between codes B41 (Front Disc w/ Standard 10" rear drums) and B42 (Front Disc w/ HD 11" rear drums)?

@cataclysm80  I need your help! :help:

Culvers

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 05, 2017, 12:07:43 AMSo what could have to do with the front brakes for E-Bodies and they need 4 different parts?  Could it be the front brake lines and or proportioning valves?  I think the key in this puzzle is what is the difference in the front brake between codes B41 (Front Disc w/ Standard 10" rear drums) and B42 (Front Disc w/ HD 11" rear drums)?
I think there are diffrent master brake cylinders. The code for the master cylinder (& brake booster) ist under 1 , right to the "car height" box
I found these numbers:
front brake 22 = 31
front brake 23 = 31 (two times I found 42)
front brake 29 = 45 (46 @ Hemi)
front brake 59 = 45

sometimes the master cylinder box was blank (like your example)

fc7cuda

59/B42 on AAR/TA with front disc and 11" rear drum
29/B41 - front disc and 10" rear drum
23/B11 - all drums
:alan2cents:

Tom

Cuda Cody

Thank you Tom.  Those are still in line and work with the theory that the "Front Brake" codes and the B11, B41, & B42 codes are related somehow.

Quote from: fc7cuda on February 05, 2017, 05:28:29 AM
59/B42 on AAR/TA with front disc and 11" rear drum
29/B41 - front disc and 10" rear drum
23/B11 - all drums
:alan2cents:

Tom

Cuda Cody

The 1 box next to the Car Height is the master cylinder, yes.  :)   That box has to do with the B51 codes.  But I think we're in the right area of thinking....  How are B11, B41, and B42 related to the front brakes?

Quote from: Culvers on February 05, 2017, 04:52:10 AM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 05, 2017, 12:07:43 AMSo what could have to do with the front brakes for E-Bodies and they need 4 different parts?  Could it be the front brake lines and or proportioning valves?  I think the key in this puzzle is what is the difference in the front brake between codes B41 (Front Disc w/ Standard 10" rear drums) and B42 (Front Disc w/ HD 11" rear drums)?
I think there are diffrent master brake cylinders. The code for the master cylinder (& brake booster) ist under 1 , right to the "car height" box
I found these numbers:
front brake 22 = 31
front brake 23 = 31 (two times I found 42)
front brake 29 = 45 (46 @ Hemi)
front brake 59 = 45

sometimes the master cylinder box was blank (like your example)

Cuda Cody

In my gut I think the "Front Brake" is going to end being a code for a pre-assembled front brake component with the brake lines attached or something.  So it might not be something in the Parts Catalog?  :notsure:

Cuda Cody

Just thought of something.  Since it would be a Right and Left situation, it almost has to be a code for both.  So that's why I'm not finding the code in the Parts Catalog.   :thinking:  Now I just need to figure out what group of parts it represents.

What parts in the front end brakes / wheel area would be different from standard that they would need to have a different assembly?

B11 = is what in the front?
B41 = is what in the front?
B42 = is what in the front?

Cuda Cody

Getting lots of help from a few places and people and so far everything is holding up.  Lets assume it a sub-assembly and test this theory.

LINE 4 FRONT BRAKES
22 = 10" x 2.5" Drum Brake Hub assembly (w/ 10" x 2.5" Rear drums)

23 = 11" x 3" Drum Brake Hub assembly (w/ 11" x 3" Rear Drums)

29 = Front Disc Brake Hub assembly (w/ 10" rear Drums)

59 = Front Disc Brake Hub assembly (w/ 11" rear Drums - TA & AAR)

SteveG

I have B 11 on my broadcast sheet but the front brake section is missing. I do have 10" drums on the front too.

Cuda Cody

Can you post a photo or send me the image @SteveG ?  There are several examples of mistyped sheets or sheets that items were left off by mistake, but since we're still trying to figure this out it would be great to see if maybe there is a 5th option that we missed!

SteveG

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 05, 2017, 12:29:58 PM
Can you post a photo or send me the image @SteveG ?  There are several examples of mistyped sheets or sheets that items were left off by mistake, but since we're still trying to figure this out it would be great to see if maybe there is a 5th option that we missed!

Sure Cody, I can send you what is left of my BC sheet, really not a whole lot there!