Main Menu

Curious if this would be a cool car? (build sheet).

Started by RUNCHARGER, January 07, 2020, 02:50:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

@RUNCHARGER reading your comment made me think - there are plenty of on-time pink T/As - I wonder if they were waiting for the fluorescent stripes  :thinking:

looks like it was ordered as a dealer demo shortly after the announcement for "panther pink" paint went public - I'll have to see if I have another V6M broadcast sheet copy

Morty426

That is a way cool car

In Hayward CA there was an FM3 383 R/T running around that I thought had a black stripe.

I know where an A66 is with a black vinyl top and a 4 speed.

RUNCHARGER

When I bought the car (I can't remember if it was 78 or 79) the stripe appeared to be white as it was severely faded. Where the stripe wrapped into the door jams it was Magenta but at first look I thought the pink paint had bled into it. It was a few decades before we ascertained the Magenta stripe code. Anyway, I think that by about 1975 or so most of them would have been faded and I think that led most people to change them to black or white or just leave them faded to white. So by even 80 or so not many people knew about the Magenta. Just a guess on my part.
Sheldon

JS29

:thinking: I can't recall ever seeing any FM3 cars around my neck of the wood's, let alone the magenta stripes.     I wouldn't have known about it ether, and could see ware shelden thought they were white. I would probably thought the same. I probably would have not liked it back then, but now i think it's pretty cool. and with the magenta stripe it will get attention.  :cool:

RUNCHARGER

These shots are far away but you can see how they were washed out. circa 1979.
A few fun facts;
Rear valance missing because it was a bit damaged when the original owner had it and I mounted it to my 71 to sell it, I bought a new one from Chrysler for this car.
Gas cap is chrome. I bought this car off the original owner and he took it on a trip to Las Vegas and lost it at a gas stop. So he stopped at a Chrysler dealer and of course the replacements were chrome.
Headlight doors are off. I am at work 100 miles away from home and travel home around 2AM on Fridays. I generally average the trip in 1 hour and I had planned to setup the Aircraft landing lights on the trip home. Lots of Moose on the way home and I want to see them so I can bring the speed down in time. (I know it's hard to relate for owners of these collector cars today but running a car like this at up to 140MPH or so for an extended time to get somewhere in a hurry was what we did back then). When I bought the car on a Friday the 383 had a stretched timing chain so the very next day I had already swapped in a beefed 440 and with the 3.23 this car would pull an honest 140MPH right the way it sits here and I had already done that by this photo.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

In the same time frame (78 & up) I had a U code R/T SE with 3:23 gears, 140 was doable but the front end gets really light, 120 feels pretty stable....  FWIW on the thread title... The only possible answer is "Obviously"...

RUNCHARGER

Randy: You are correct, one thing I did find when I swapped the Hemi into this car is that it handled better at high speeds. The added weight on the nose made the car feel better at high speeds, not as good as a 71 B-body but better.
Sheldon

7E-Bodies

@RUNCHARGER is that the car I saw at Carlisle in 2017? That car is burned into my gray matter!
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green