Main Menu

Door Vin number Decal: Vertical or Horizontal?

Started by Topcat, April 27, 2017, 07:09:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP_Cuda

Seems as the plants didn't follow the same rule book from corporate.

Could be an easy way for a dealership to know which plant the car came from.

Quote from: Topcat on April 28, 2017, 06:47:51 PM
Quote from: HP_Cuda on April 28, 2017, 10:37:13 AM
When I researched this before I applied my door vin from ECS, I found that it was plant specific as you guys are stating.

LA - Vertical
Hammy - Horizontal

Intentionally done?

Perhaps it was an easy way for dealerships to easily spot it's origin when it came in for repairs or PDI?
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

cataclysm80

Now that's something I hadn't noticed before.

I don't suppose anyone has a picture of how it should be positioned on a 1970 St. Louis B body?

6bblgt

:takepicture: & I'd bet that stamped arrow isn't on a '69 door

cataclysm80

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 30, 2017, 10:53:00 PM
:takepicture: & I'd bet that stamped arrow isn't on a '69 door

Thanks Dan!
It will be time to put my new decal on soon.   :D

We have several doors laying around, I'll look at a few.

cataclysm80

Quote from: cataclysm80 on April 30, 2017, 10:35:26 PM
Now that's something I hadn't noticed before.

I went to save this info in my car notes, and when I got to the right spot, it was already there, along with several pics of Hamtramck & LA door stickers.
Apparently I  HAD  noticed it before.   :rofl:

So glad I started writing stuff down!

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

chryslerfan

https://www.smokymountaintraders.com/vehicles/92/1971-plymouth-cuda

https://www.smokymountaintraders.com/vehicles/310/1971-dodge-challenger-r-t

I don't profess to be an expert.   Just sharing two links for Hamtramck cars at one dealer that I am looking at.   One door sticker is vertical and the other is horizontal.   Am I correct that the horizontal one is a  bit too low compared to come examples you have offered here or is height not that consistent from one car to the other.

Thank you for your thoughts as I am looking at both cars but likely will not consider the blue Cuda since it was born with blue interior (now black) and the exhaust manifolds look like they have surface rust or something

Neither of these cars have mufflers either.   They must be muffler challenged in TN

anlauto

Both the above cars are restored as well, so who knows if the decal locations are original  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ToxicWolf

The one on my 70 challenger was original and it was horizontal.   :thinking:

VCODE

Hawaii Cuda SPD 418
This is original and high on the door
Bob  :alan2cents:

MikeMikeMike

I also found that in 71, hard tops had the sticker high on the door while verts got it lower due to an extra bumper in the area for the verts.  :popcorn:
'71 Cuda Convertible 340
'71 International Harvester Scout II

Harry Pro

Quote from: 70/6chall on April 27, 2017, 09:39:18 PM
If this will help your search any, my very early LA built SL6 70 Challenger, SPD Aug. 18, '69 Monday, and a possible first day of production build of #113 off the assy. line. It is located in the vertical position on the door.

My car has a weird one my fender tag has spd 815 yet my door sticker says 9/69 both I believe are original Is this a miss print on the fender tag ? Even though the sequence number seems to suit the September door sticker any help would be appreciated.

anlauto

Common occurrence for a car to actually be built later then the scheduled build date.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

Quote from: Harry Pro on October 17, 2017, 03:08:17 AM
My car has a weird one my fender tag has spd 815 yet my door sticker says 9/69 both I believe are original Is this a miss print on the fender tag ? Even though the sequence number seems to suit the September door sticker any help would be appreciated.

QuoteCommon occurrence for a car to actually be built later then the scheduled build date.

:iagree: the "SCHEDULED" production date can be days or weeks earlier or later than the "ACTUAL" production date.
@Harry Pro can you share a pic of your fender tag?

anyone else have a  fender tag with a "SCHEDULED" month that's different than the month typed on the door sticker?

Harry Pro

Quote from: 6bblgt on October 17, 2017, 11:30:26 AM
Quote from: Harry Pro on October 17, 2017, 03:08:17 AM

QuoteCommon occurrence for a car to actually be built later then the scheduled build date.

:iagree: the "SCHEDULED" production date can be days or weeks earlier or later than the "ACTUAL" production date.
@Harry Pro can you share a pic of your fender tag?

Here I my fender tag

anyone else have a  fender tag with a "SCHEDULED" month that's different than the month typed on the door sticker?