Main Menu

Door Vin number Decal: Vertical or Horizontal?

Started by Topcat, April 27, 2017, 07:09:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Harry Pro

Firstly I would like to thank 6bblgt for PM me with info on and about my fender tag.  Even though it wasn't good news to hear that it is a reproduction tag with errors. He mentioned that the VON number was a guess, the SPD 815 was before production had started in LA on the 8/18/69, the N95 code missing off the tag even though I have the emissions tube in the trunk and the mirror codes. I had also spoken with someone else and they wouldn't tell what was wrong with the tag but that it was just wrong.

So since receiving this news I had spoken to the previous owner who imported into Australia from the US and asked about the tag which he said came with the car. So that's all I can say on that.

So the problem I have now is how do I know or have proof of the extra cost options on my car? As 6bblgt asked without a broadcast sheet to verify.

So here is what I know from the VIN RT 440 4bbl built in LA. The dash VIN was on the dash, the door sticker is there, the radiator support VIN is there but I cant locate the cowl vin but I haven't taken off any paint off either and the engine has the partial VIN stamped on it.

-So here's what I think I know?
-the colour from pre restoration photos to FY1.
-Automatic trans from the floor shifter slap stick in console with brackets on floor hump.
-Bucket seats that came with car and floor pan holes suit. Colour is unknown.
-Air con car car because of dash vents, firewall holes, tinted glass and AC heater box.
-The vinyl top had the holes and moldings were there. Obviously the colour is unknown.
-The interior door trims, kick panels and rear trim panels are all black but they could have been put in when ever.
-I dont know if anyone has had there door trims come with the SE carpet strip with a red reflector going across the bottom which also had MB Findlay industries July 11 stamped on them.
-The V6X rt stripe ? the pre restoration photos shows no stripe and RT and Challenger script badges with stud holes.
-the leaf springs are HD bias 24 & 34 numbers on the small leaf.
-the rear end is 8 3/4 with 11 inch finned drum brakes.
-the 4 torque boxes are there.
-the K frame, tosion bars, lower control arms and sway bar all seem to be correct when we restored them with part nubers and date codes.

Thats all i cant think of for the minute i would love to hear all your feed back, help and support on this dissapointing situation and by the minor miracle chance someone out there might have my buidsheet and fender tag.

thanks again Harry Pro.

anlauto

Funny...It's a reproduction tag and there's no N96 shaker hood ? :haha:.....

Just kidding....it looks like someone was not trying to upgrade your car, just rather make an accurate tag with the little information and knowledge they had...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

There are ways for some options that would be on the tag to be proven based on the vehicle.  If you want to start a thread and post as many photos as you can there are some people that can recognize holes and option codes that would have been there.  Like Alan said, it might be that someone tried to make a tag based on what was known and not to add options.  Tag or no tag, if you have the original dash VIN then that will tell you that it's a real RT with a factory 440 engine.  That's the most important.   :alan2cents:

Harry Pro

Thanks Cody
Here's a few photos of the dash VIN and the engine . I think what you and Anlauto are saying could be right.

Harry Pro

I don't know what happened with the photos I will try again

Cuda Cody

What is the casting date on your engine block?  And do you have a photo of the front pad?

Harry Pro

I have a photo of the casting date but can't find one of the front pad but can get it this weekend. What I remember that was on the front pad was and not in order F 440 HP and maybe a date of 8-20 but I will know this weekend. Thanks again

cataclysm80

I think the door panel carpet was also included with leather interior.  Still doesn't mean the panels are original to the car though.

Do your pre-restoration pics show a bumblebee stripe?

With your VIN being that low, I think 11 inch rear brakes means that you had 4 wheel drum brakes.  Then again, brake upgrades are common, so someone could have installed the 11 brakes.

Harry Pro

Thanks cataclysm80

Maybe it had leather interior but I won't know without the build sheet. Definitely no bumble bee stripe from what I can tell and I have a photo of the rear end from the previous owner when they removed tell me what you think? Thanks again

cataclysm80

It would be a stripe delete car then.

I don't see any red paint on the drums.  Probably not Rallyes or Magnum 500s unless the drums have been replaced.
How many miles were in the car?

The pinion snubber means something.  Not every car had those.

Morty426

Quote from: Topcat on April 28, 2017, 06:47:51 PM
Quote from: HP_Cuda on April 28, 2017, 10:37:13 AM
When I researched this before I applied my door vin from ECS, I found that it was plant specific as you guys are stating.

LA - Vertical
Hammy - Horizontal

Intentionally done?

Perhaps it was an easy way for dealerships to easily spot it's origin when it came in for repairs or PDI?

Wouldn't the dealer just read the VIN letter if they needed that info?