Main Menu

Help decoding 1971 broadcast sheet

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, April 20, 2019, 03:53:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

One thing that looks odd to me is the tail light bezels being black...looks like an oversight when they repainted the car and didn't paint these parts gold. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

I was wondering about that myself. Not that it's the best source but the stuff I found on the Internet showed that plain Barracudas got black tail lights and Cudas got color keyed. You have dealt with more of these 71s than I have so were all cars color keyed then?

6bblgt

BH - Barracuda - taillight bezels should be body color
BP - Gran Coupe - taillight bezels/panel should be argent w/Gran Coupe trim
BS - 'cuda - taillight bezels/panel should be organisol w/'cuda trim (M88)

the exception is front & rear elastomeric bumper package (A22) cars which have organisol tail panels with the 'cuda trim (M88)

70 Challenger Lover

anlauto

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on April 21, 2019, 10:26:12 AM
I was wondering about that myself. Not that it's the best source but the stuff I found on the Internet showed that plain Barracudas got black tail lights and Cudas got color keyed. You have dealt with more of these 71s than I have so were all cars color keyed then?

That's just wrong...this car should have body colour bezels. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

6bblgt

70 Challenger Lover

That shouldn't be too difficult to fix.

RUNCHARGER

I hope wherever it goes it doesn't end up getting modded/cloned or whatever else people do to screw these cars up.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 21, 2019, 02:05:50 PM
I hope wherever it goes it doesn't end up getting modded/cloned or whatever else people do to screw these cars up.

I couldn't agree more. With this color option, it looks really classy just as it is. It's spent it's whole life unmodified so if I get it, it will stay that way. I told the guy I'm going to buy it contingent a thorough inspection. So far, so good.

70 Challenger Lover

Been examining the build sheet as best I can with the crappy image I have. It appears that there are a couple little changes to the car over the years that are not consistent with the build sheet such as missing side molding, different wheels, black steering wheel instead of wood. Little things that are either easily fixed or things I'd be fine leaving alone. Of course I could be misinterpreting the build sheet too. I'm no expert on that stuff.

It wouldn't surprise me to see small bolt on changes. The seller is convinced the radio is original and I'm pretty certain that is a C body radio. Seller also mentioned they never added an antenna hole in the new fender but I like it better without. Nice and clean.

He sent me the fender tag pic. Don't think I've ever seen one so devoid of options.

6bblgt

you have the broadcast sheet info pretty well understood  :bigthumb:

no RADIO when new
original stick on body-side-mouldings - MISSING
original wood steering wheel swapped for the black one
original wheel covers - gone

anlauto

How about the rare clock option, is that found on the sheet ?

70 Challenger Lover

The clock option is there both in the car and on the sheet. So is the power top. Not sure if the power top is fairly common or not.

So you read then that there was no radio in the car when new? The sheet looks blank and obviously the tag doesn't have anything. That would make sense that someone just threw it in. I prefer it without.

If I'm reading my book and sheet correctly, it stated painted moldings but I think I've only seen the black ones. Glad to hear it's a stick on thing. Unless they look cool, I'd leave them off.

6bblgt

yes, the clock is on the sheet - "J21"
just under 10% of '71 Plymouth e-bodies had the STANDARD gauge cluster with the extra cost clock

FYI ~18.9% of '71 Plymouth e-bodies had the RALLYE gauge cluster with the included clock

70 Challenger Lover

As it turns out, years ago I bought a set of standard gauges for an e body that had the clock along with the correct bezel with the hole for the adjustment knob. The set was restored and it really looks nice. I bought it for my 70 JH Challenger not realizing until later that the 70 gauges are different as is the housing and bezel.

Since then, I've tried selling that set many times both on eBay and at the swaps but absolutely no luck. Not hardly a glance. I guess the clock is just as unpopular today as it was back then!