Main Menu

Help decoding 1971 broadcast sheet

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, April 20, 2019, 03:53:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Planning to go take a look at this 71 Barracuda. The photos of the car look amazing! Hard to see a lot of detail on the sheet though so any help is much appreciated.

750-h2

At a quick glance

Barracuda convert
Engine 318 or 225 [hard to read]
Scheduled Build date 09 Dec 70
Colour Gold leaf Irid

cuda hunter

Please give us more details.   And a better pic of that BS.

Looks like a black top. 
And isn't gy8 gold leaf metallic

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

70 Challenger Lover

I also made out brown and tan interior and black top along with power steering. I'll be going out to see the car soon and I'll take a better photo myself. He's supposed to be getting me a shot of the fender tag when he goes out to the car.

According to the seller, he and previous owners went to lengths to not modify the car from original. Based on the photos, it looks to be a low optioned car....power top, buckets, console, and PS to be about it. I was just wondering if someone could make out any other little cool options.

70 Challenger Lover

Here's a couple pics...

70 Challenger Lover

Looks like a C body radio. Is that correct?

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

He's asking $51,900 but we've had several conversations now and he's indicated he will work with me on the price. Even at that price, it seems very reasonable and I think I will pay it if the car checks out.  I have a good vibe on the guy and I don't think he's knowingly hiding anything. He told me the original boot is missing a couple clips and the washer bottle has a broken neck. Says I won't find a speck of rust or damage anywhere. Of course I'll still inspect it top to bottom.

70 Challenger Lover

Couple more...

anlauto

$50K was going to be my guess...look in the trunk for bad patch work on quarters or trunk floor...."not a speck of rust" doesn't mean it hasn't been patched up. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

70 Challenger Lover

More

70 Challenger Lover

I agree. I plan to crawl under it as well. There is a very similar car on eBay right now and the bidding has already reached $44k. And this car is nicer and more correct in my opinion.

I think it gets really hard to judge value on the 71 Barracudas, convertibles especially, because most of them have been turned into Cuda clones. The unmodified ones don't seem to get restored to original specs that often and those that do don't change hands often enough to establish a good baseline for estimating values.

If this car was a Cuda version, even a 340, all other things being equal, most would agree it's value would exceed 100k these days.

anlauto

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on April 21, 2019, 08:13:55 AM

If this car was a Cuda version, even a 340, all other things being equal, most would agree it's value would exceed 100k these days.

Agreed, a customer of mine picked up a very similar looking car, gold but with white interior....a much older uglier restoration but his is a BS27N1B 383 Auto Cuda....he's been offered $100K for his and in my opinion it needs a restoration.

6bblgt

what I can make out - when new (ordered) it was:

1971 Barracuda V8 convertible
318 2bbl
automatic transmission *
"gold leaf metallic" exterior
"tan" bucket seat interior
"black" convertible top
"gold" body side mouldings *
dual white stripe tires *
deluxe wheel covers *
console *
tinted windshield *
clock *
undercoating *
power convertible top * 
power steering *

* extra cost OPTIONS (around $550 worth)

70 Challenger Lover

If I do get this car, I'm going to keep it as original as possible. There just aren't many unmodified 71 Barracudas anymore and it would be a shame to change it. Looks great as it is. I'll probably even bring the little things back to stock as well like the correct wheels and radio. As tempting as it is to warm up the motor and add dual exhaust, that would be a slippery slope for me.