Main Menu

Help decoding 1971 broadcast sheet

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, April 20, 2019, 03:53:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I sold one of those clocks for $100 once, guy really needed it I guess
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

If it all works out and I buy the Barracuda, I guess I'll have a spare clock.

1 Wild R/T

Clock didn't use to be that hard to find... But the adjuster knob assembly is a different matter...

70 Challenger Lover

The seller found the other sheet which actually turned out to be in much better shape. I'm flying out Friday for inspection.

Flatdad

Wow! 245793, my Challenger is 245843! Your SPD is C09 though? The cars (Challengers) built around mine all look like C15 or C16. Did they schedule Cuda's/Barracuda's independently of the Challengers?

6bblgt

yes, depending on volume of cars required for orders/popularity "schedules" varied from time to time

70 Challenger Lover

I'm sure most have seen other posts that I did get the car. I am going to order a repo door vin decal as mine was removed during it's restoration. I just want to clarify that a build month of CID December 1970. Correct? These decals are too pricey to screw this up.

72 Challenger

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 23, 2019, 12:24:18 PM
you have the broadcast sheet info pretty well understood  :bigthumb:

no RADIO when new
original stick on body-side-mouldings - MISSING
original wood steering wheel swapped for the black one
original wheel covers - gone

I have a clarification question about the no Radio.

If a fender tag has no R code (like R11) does that automatically mean it was a radio delete car? I ask because my previous 72 Challenger had no R code on the tag and during the restoration the car's front fender was drilled for an antenna hole and had a radio bezel in the car so I added in an original Am Radio. I figured no R code on the fender tag could also mean it had the stock radio. The car was a JS23H2B, 1972 Rallye car w/ Rallye Dash.

To match that, on the original Vehicle Order Sheet, neither AM or AM/FM was selected, it was left blank. 

Was that car a radio delete car or was I correct in assuming that no options meant it came with the base AM only radio?
Someday I will have a J0b.

70 Challenger Lover

Not sure how they did it in 72 but I've had 70s with plain AM radios and they always had R11 on the tag and the broadcast sheet.

On this 71 Barracuda, I wasn't so sure because the seller was adamant that he left the car original and it had an AM radio. Plus, when I only had a fuzzy image of the broadcast sheet, I could read the radio boxes. As I learned more about the car, it became clear that a previous owner stuffed a C body radio in the dash and the seller simply assumed it was original to the car. Both of my broadcast sheets are blank on the radio code so that tells me it had no radio from the factory. It fits the rest of the puzzle too because whoever ordered my car was too cheap to pay for little upgrades normally found on E body cars like the remote racing mirror.

72 Challenger

I Just read through the entire post and I agree that someone changed that Radio. I have seen C body radios in a few e-bodies now, it must have been a common swap? All of my E-bodies have been AM only car's and had the R11 code on the fender tag.

70 Challenger Lover

It was actually strange how the radio thing worked out in this car. The person who added the radio must have cut a hole in the fender for the antenna though the seller I got it from didn't know this. The seller I got the car from had it restored years ago and during that restoration, it was necessary to use a donor front fender. The donor fender had no hole for the antenna and the seller decided not to have an antenna hole drilled only because he liked the cleaner lines without it, not because the antenna wasn't original. The seller believed the car came with that C body radio and had an antenna but luck was on my side with him not drilling the antenna hole. I already ordered a radio delete plate and will put it back to original soon.

6bblgt

a radio code is on the fender tag so the factory knew to place an antennae hole on the fender before the car went to paint

(E-body) NO "radio code" on the fender tag indicates NO "antennae" on the car when NEW which by default indicates NO "radio" in the car  :looney:

72 Challenger

Well then that settles it. I owned a radio delete car! Since the antennae hole was there I put the AM radio back in it. It went to a private collection so he likely has no idea.

70 Challenger Lover

I wonder how common radio Delete cars were? I have a set of 70 fenders with no antenna hole

6bblgt

pretty RARE, ~4.3% of '70 Challengers were "radio delete" - NOS "over-the-counter" replacement fenders did not have an antennae hole in them