Main Menu

L34 question

Started by cuda hunter, May 13, 2020, 09:39:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

@MoparCarGuy your 511 SPD example is an EXPORT Y09 'cuda - typically. Y09 cars are "BUILT" EARLY VS their SPDs  :alan2cents:

MoparCarGuy

So a Y09 Export car may not be the latest date without the L34 code on the tag. We still need more May 1970 BS tags to narrow it down. I have not seen any AAR BS cars with SPDs of late-April with L34 on the tag.
Post those May tags gents!

anlauto

Hers's a 430 without...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparCarGuy

Did you actually mean...

"IF" a memo/instruction/other was posted on Friday 5/8/70, that stated: starting with Monday's 5/12/70 production "L34" needed to be coded on the BS and/or FT
***** cars built EARLY (with pre 511 SPDs) won't be coded & cars built LATE (with post 511 SPDs) will be coded

I realize that the above is a hypothetical. Hopefully, we will see some more BS fender tags with SPDs for the month of MAY 1970.

For now, the evidence points to < or = 511 will not have L34 coded and > or = 512 will have L34 coded on BS fender tags.
The jury is out.

6bblgt

no, I meant what I typed:

"IF" a memo/instruction/other was posted on Friday 5/8/70, that stated: starting with Monday's 5/11/70 production "L34" needed to be coded on the BS and/or FT
***** cars built EARLier than their SPDs  (with post 511 SPDs) won't be coded & cars built LATEr than their SPDs (with pre 511 SPDs) will be coded

the date on the fender tag is  the SCHEDULED production date - the ACTUAL date can be a WEEK+ EARLY up to a MONTH+ LATE
so .......... "IF" 5/11/70 is the magic date that L34 started its existence then ..........
a car SCHEDULED 5/6/70 but not built until 5/13/69 would have L34 on its fender tag "LATE"
VS
a car SCHEDULED 5/13/70 but built early on 5/6/70 would NOT have L34 on its tag "EARLY"

:crazytalk: the addition of L34 to the broadcast sheet/fender tag was mid-May 1970 - to get a more definite date, you will need more data than available on a few fender tags

MoparCarGuy

I re-read your post and now understand why you brought up actual build dates versus scheduled build dates in this discussion. I agree with you that the actual date becomes a factor on what got punched on the tag. The operator of the fender tag machine very well could have been given a directive via a memo or assembly line policy to begin putting the L34 code on all the tags in mid-May for cars receiving the road lights (All BS Cudas).

A car actually built early (before any policy) with a post-511 SPD would have had its fender tag punched early so no L34 code would be punched. Conversely, a car actually built late (after any policy) with a pre-512 SPD would have the L34 code punched because that was the new policy. I see you were pointing this out to show how difficult it would be to narrow down an exact date based on an SPD.

Here's another question which, if answered, might explain why the L34 began being punched in May.
Since Plymouth did not allow road lights to be selected as an option on Gran Coupes (BP) and Barracudas (BH), did Plymouth begin allowing the road lamp option on BP and BH cars beginning in May of 1970? I know other options that were previously only on BS cars became available mid-production year.
We need to see a whole lot of fender tags for this effort.

JS23U

The lowest VIN I have for a tag with L34 is 334739, with an SPD of 508. I also have a build sheet for another Cuda with SPD 508 that shows L34 on the sheet as well. So it would be my guess that tags and sheets got the L34 code starting with the same date.

The earliest SPD, but not the lowest VIN I have a FT of, is 337848. SPD is 504 on this one.

6bblgt

Quote from: JS23U on August 23, 2020, 08:00:11 AM
The earliest SPD, but not the lowest VIN I have a FT of, is BS23H0B337848. SPD is 504 on this one.

that's NOT an authentic Chrysler Corp. stamped fender tag  :foul:

anlauto

I love how you call that out, not sure how you do it, but it's impressive. :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

6bblgt

Quote from: anlauto on August 23, 2020, 10:43:31 AM
I love how you call that out, not sure how you do it, but it's impressive. :drinkingbud:

I have a picture of a fender tag for the same VIN, it is different & I don't think it is original either

anlauto

6bblgt

March 2, 1970 *** date on the "REVISED" Confidential Price Bulletin that shows "L34" OPTIONAL on BH & BP  -  MSRP $21.75
April 3. 1970 *** date on Product Information Bulletin that states "L34" will be available on BH & BP
May 1, 1970 *** date listed as "approximate" on the above PIB for "L34" production on BH & BP

so, they were shooting for May 1st production for introduction on Barracuda & Gran Coupe ***** the question then becomes: did they plan the "L34" fender tag and/or broadcast sheet call out for the initial production or did production ask for some indication after some of the first BH/BP with "L34" builds were initiated in plant without the firewall piecing

:dunno:

6bblgt

based on my "Actual Production Date Calendar"
:thinking:
actual BS ('cuda) production initiated on or before Friday 5/15/70 NO "L34" on tag or sheet
actual BS ('cuda) production initiated on or after Monday 5/18/70 YES "L34" on tag and sheet

I don't have many pictures of May 1970 'cuda broadcast sheets (& "ZERO" sheets for a BH/BP with "L34"),
the day could easily change earlier or later, but over the weekend makes sense

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

MoparCarGuy

I had already saved the 1970 BS tags from that thread but none of them were in the Scheduled Production Date (SPD) date range that we are investigating. The issue is that the actual date of production and the SPD can vary widely so whether the fender tag or the broadcast sheet has the L34 code on it depends if it was actually built before or after the mid-MAY 1970. It appears that 6bblgt has narrowed this down considerably based on actual production dates to
the following:
actual BS ('cuda) production initiated on or before Friday 5/15/70 NO "L34" on tag or sheet
actual BS ('cuda) production initiated on or after Monday 5/18/70 YES "L34" on tag and sheet

I put together the attached graphic to illustrate examples for this issue.