Main Menu

Thoughts on FAKE versus REPRODUCTION (dash VIN/fender tag)

Started by MoparCarGuy, March 05, 2023, 06:23:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70vert

Almost 10 years ago I sent my car to a shop for restoration, mainly rusted panel repair & paint. Long story short when they replaced the dash they "lost" the vin tag. UGH!!!!
I contacted A.G. Backeast to get a replacement and they required a lot of verification! I do not have the build sheet, but I sent pics of the fender tag, cowl stamp, current title & registration, and even my Oklahoma registration from when I bought the car. Plus various pics of of the car. Though I am no expert it seemed very authentic, other than being brand new with no wear on a 70 car. They include the correct they correct rivets.

I did freak out when they told me they couldn't find the tag, but once I discovered I could get a replacement I was able to sleep. My car is not a show car so I actually don't even think much about it being a replacement now. Anyway, its a driver and a mild restomod, and obviously a convertible (:

larry4406

How did Moparts address this when they sold replacement dashes over the counter?

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: larry4406 on March 05, 2023, 02:06:52 PM
How did Moparts address this when they sold replacement dashes over the counter?
I am sure the answer included new rosette rivets.  :yes:

torredcuda

Unfortunately missing vin tags probably happen more often with E-bodies due tot he fact they are attached to the dash pad which is a removeable part. My view is as long as the replacement tag is exactly the same as the original there is no intent to commit fraud and would be perfectly fine, obviuosly changing the vin to make the car something is was not is wrong and illegal. The only issue that might come up is two cars with the same exact vin tag but that could be sorted by verifying the real cars body stamped partial vin numbers. and the other car would be the "fake".
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

70_440-6Cuda

This one is always an issue of integrity for me.  I have my build sheet, and the VIN tag is in tact but if I decide to replace it with a shiny new reproduction, I don't think it matters.  What ultimately matters is transparency so buyers know what they are getting.  Of course, the problem is not everyone is honest and in 50 years a lot of information gets lost, or is chosen to be hidden. I also agree that in the '80s, no one cared about any of these issues - you had high school and college kids like myself just wanting to go fast - I didn't care what the VIN said, or know about build sheets - I knew I wanted a 440 just because it was the biggest displacement engine Chrysler made and I wanted the 3x2 because it was just cool. 

For me, while I appreciate the purist cars as a tribute to the era, I would also be happy to buy a '70 Hemi 'Cuda that had the body numbers put onto a '73 because it was rusted beyond salvage if it put it in a price range that made it affordable for me as long as I KNEW what had been done.  For me it is about value for dollar.  It is like buying anything else. I have a friend who is a jeweler, and he always reminds me that a diamond that has flaws you cannot see with the naked eye is still a diamond, just a lot less expensive - as long as you know exactly what you are getting I think all is good. :alan2cents: 
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

torredcuda

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on March 08, 2023, 08:24:39 AM
This one is always an issue of integrity for me.  I have my build sheet, and the VIN tag is in tact but if I decide to replace it with a shiny new reproduction, I don't think it matters.  What ultimately matters is transparency so buyers know what they are getting.  Of course, the problem is not everyone is honest and in 50 years a lot of information gets lost, or is chosen to be hidden. I also agree that in the '80s, no one cared about any of these issues - you had high school and college kids like myself just wanting to go fast - I didn't care what the VIN said, or know about build sheets - I knew I wanted a 440 just because it was the bigst displacement engine Chrysler made and I wanted the 3x2 because it was just cool. 

For me, while I appreciate the purist cars as a tribute to the era, I would also be happy to buy a '70 Hemi 'Cuda that had the body numbers put onto a '73 because it was rusted beyond salvage if it put it in a price range that made it affordable for me as long as I KNEW what had been done.  For me it is about value for dollar.  It is like buying anything else. I have a friend who is a jeweler, and he always reminds me that a diamond that has flaws you cannot see with the naked eye is still a diamond, just a lot less expensive - as long as you know exactly what you are getting I think all is good. :alan2cents:

I would never replace the original with a repro unless it was badly damaged, you can paint and stencil yours to look new.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/