Main Menu

What do you think guys.... 71 AMC Javelin....

Started by Brads70, August 03, 2017, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

Good powder coat is usually more durable than a decent paint job.  I would PC if you can get it done without jumping through too many hoops or $$.

dodj

Hemicuda seems to do a good job of powdercoating ANYTHING. Maybe he could help you?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on April 24, 2020, 05:51:02 PM
Hemicuda seems to do a good job of powdercoating ANYTHING. Maybe he could help you?

A race car buddy gets lots of stuff done locally. He says its pretty economical. I'll check it out when things get back to normal

blown motor

Brad, there's a guy in Woodstock does it also if your other guy doesn't work out. I picked up his card at a swap meet in January.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

RUNCHARGER

Corporate colours are red, white and blue.
Sheldon

Brads70

Moving right along, this afternoon I built rack mounts on my spare crossmember. The one in the car now is bent so I'll be using this one when I install the rebuilt 401 . Went pretty smooth. I figure I'll have to mill down the rack pillow blocks about 1/2" to get the rack at the right height. I'll wait till it's installed to see whats up.... Funny once you have dimple dies you always seem to find more uses for them!
Slowly running out of sub-assemblies to work on. Hopefully soon I'll pull the engine and swap in the rebuilt one  with the T56. Lots to do then as I want to paint the engine bay when I do. In the future I'll get coil overs for the front end.  Gotta get it running and driving first, priorities....   

Brads70

Got home early so I put up the crossmember on the mill. I was surprised to see only one hole was out of position by about .030"-.040" fore and aft so while it was all indicated on the mill I made all the holes perfect and from welding it moved on one side about .070" up and down  so I took this opportunity to machine it in perfect position .  The "dimples" are the rack center line and the lower control arm center lines , just in case I need them for set up? While it was all set up I slotted the mounting holes part way thru just in case I need to move it when it's in the car. I can easily finish the slots with a carbine burr if necessary.

gzig5

Is it worth the effort to try and adapt a R&P like that to an E-body?  I've seen them from time to time used for what seem to be reasonable prices <$100.  Probably a big tear up or a custom K-frame but it might be fun if it is worth the effort for steering feel and performance.

Chryco Psycho

The rack could be adapted at the rear of the k frame under the engine but putting in front the is a problem , the lower ball joint is the steering arm , this creates the wrong ackerman angles if you reverse them & point them forward  .

Brads70

Quote from: gzig5 on April 27, 2020, 03:31:36 PM
Is it worth the effort to try and adapt a R&P like that to an E-body?  I've seen them from time to time used for what seem to be reasonable prices <$100.  Probably a big tear up or a custom K-frame but it might be fun if it is worth the effort for steering feel and performance.

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 27, 2020, 06:01:58 PM
The rack could be adapted at the rear of the k frame under the engine but putting in front the is a problem , the lower ball joint is the steering arm , this creates the wrong ackerman angles if you reverse them & point them forward  .

:iagree:

For Front steer, You would need a spindle with the proper steering arm geometry for a rack . As luck would have it the Pacer was factory equipped with a rack and the steering arms from the pacer bolt on to the Javelin spindle.
I don't know the dimensions/specs for the DSE but a spindle like this with a bolt on steering arm would be nice. Something like this.....

They do make rear steer racks too.

Brads70

Well today was the day. Out with the old..... gas tank too, making way for fuel cell.

@IRON MAN  hey any idea what transmission this is? 
It doesn't look like the M12 you posted a picture of ? Ford C4?

I have no need of it just wondering if it's something desirable to sell off? Other wise it's the scrap pile.
The guy that sold it to me kept mentioning the transmission and how " rare" it was, like that was a selling feature? LOL  I already had a T56 ready to go in the garage so I just nodded  my head and said "oh ok" and laughed a bit inside.

Chryco Psycho

Brads70

@IRON MAN   here are a few more pictures to help ID this transmission?  :notsure:

Brads70

Did a little searching on the net.... its a M44 transmission..... short answer, boat anchor.

cudamadd