Main Menu

What do you think guys.... 71 AMC Javelin....

Started by Brads70, August 03, 2017, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Spent the afternoon welding in the fuel cell mount into the chassis. Much stronger/safer than stock!

dodj

Looks good Brad. But why a fuel cell? What are your intentions for this car? A little competition in it's future?
:burnout:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on June 07, 2020, 06:32:15 PM
Looks good Brad. But why a fuel cell? What are your intentions for this car? A little competition in it's future?
:burnout:

Thanks, when I got this car  no one made a new stock gas tank for it , fuel cell goes with the race theme and I'll like the extra range of 32 gallons. I watched rusty old gas tanks sell for 350 USD  and was having zero part in that nonsense. I have the original tank here still to sell off. No way I was interested in using it I just know it will be full of crap/rust after almost 50 years.  Not to mention dealing with finding a stock sending unit etc..... modern easily available parts were attractive to me.

Brads70

Worked on it today for a few hours.  This is a good illustration on why you shouldn't use air shocks.
I cut out the rest of the trunk floor as I'll have to replace it anyhow due to air shock damages.  Not a big deal at this point. I knew this was damaged and I cut out what I needed from the parts car before I scrapped it.  Now with the floor cut right out I'll build a area for the battery to mount. 

YellowThumper

Wow. They have killed a lot of frame supports.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

Brads70

I got to spend most of the day working on it again. Got the front cross member powder coated black. Looks ok. Almost finished the fab work in the back now. Almost got finished but ran out of gas for the mig welder. I'll get some tomorrow and finish it up.  I bought a small box/pan brake worked really well for the tin work around the fuel cell.

YellowThumper

Very nice. Have enjoyed my brake. Made a couple fan shrouds already.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Cudajason

Thats awesome. I am in awe of your fab skills!!

Hope I get the chance to see tuis beast soon!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Brads70

Quote from: Cudajason on July 02, 2020, 06:01:47 PM

Jason

I would be nice to be able to drive to Carlisle next year!  :fingerscrossed:

Cudajason

Quote from: Brads70 on July 03, 2020, 05:40:23 AM
Quote from: Cudajason on July 02, 2020, 06:01:47 PM

Jason

I would be nice to be able to drive to Carlisle next year!  :fingerscrossed:

Yeah that would be nice!  I am hopping we can go next year.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Brads70

Test fit the fuel cell today for the first time. When I went to slide it in it wouldn't go and I had that old sicking feeling of " oh crap!" but it turned out I just had to unbolt and remove the trunk latch hook. Phew!  It fit and looks pretty good in there!  I had the day off yesterday and today to work on it! Fantastic weather to work , not too hot. :cooldance:

Brads70

Well the body off my parts car made it out for practice today.  :banana: