Main Menu

What do you think guys.... 71 AMC Javelin....

Started by Brads70, August 03, 2017, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

This afternoon it was " out with the old" day for the front suspension. Previous owners hack job will end up in the scrap pile. The crossmember got hit and badly bent along with the lower control arm and a cracked upper control arm. So to "half ass it" he lengthens the strut rod  by welding in a spacer?
Man I just could never do that? Like why? Go get the required parts and replace them? Sheesh huh?
Lucky for me  I already have Arizona rust free parts to go back on and the crossmember from the parts car. I'm also going to use a rod end and do away with those goofy strut rod bushings and make my strut rods adjustable. I previously installed mono balls in the lower control arms instead of bushings so I will be able to adjust the front end how I want. Looking at where the stock steering box and idler arms bolts in I think I'll utilize those holes to mount the stock car  double ended splined sway bar. Making it a bolt in deal, allowing it to be brought back to stock if desired down the road. I was somewhat worried the frame railed would go boing and not allow me to bolt in my replacement crossmember but it was all good!
It was a great day today for working , nice and cool. I enjoyed the day! Nice to progress and finally be able to bolt parts back on. Next summer should be fun!

Topcat

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Brads70

Test fitting some new parts! Everything so far is fitting great!

YellowThumper

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

CudaMoparRay

Brads70

Made these up this afternoon. Adjustable strut rods ,should work really nice!

Chryco Psycho

Brads70

Finished up work early and got 5 hours in before dark beat me. Assembled one strut rod,( waiting for bolts to arrive) looks good, had to shorten the turnbuckle . Looks good and should work great!
I got ambitious and cut out the rad saddle as someone before looks like they tried to jack on it. Bad idea, just flimsy sheet metal. I cut it out and replaced it with square tubing, much stronger than stock. Also notched the frame rail to accommodate the 31" rad . Easy enough to do, used .070" material as little heavier than the stock .062"  Test fit rad, looks good. I'm now adding a "X" to the rad saddle area as the real race car did this also. Should add to the stiffness  .

Brads70

Finished up the crossbrace before dinner.

Brads70

Going after this look..... I'm planning on selling off the stock grill as the race car never used one.  I'll make up some filler panels out of aluminum instead. I got $1700 for the last one I sold. This one needs some repair so I don't expect as much.
Here is a picture of the real race car stripped down before it was restored. A few "war wounds" are visible. Looks like they brazed on parts instead of welding?

Scooter

^^^ Front shot could easily be mistaken for an old Camaro or Mustang Mach1. Good lookin ride!

Chryco Psycho

Cudajason

that is going to look bad ass.  cant wait to see it in person!

:bigthumb:
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon