Main Menu

What do you think guys.... 71 AMC Javelin....

Started by Brads70, August 03, 2017, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

I like the idea of that cross brace up front.  With the addition of the square tube across the bottom, that should really stiffen up the front end.  Something similar should be effective on our E-bodies, I would think.

Shane Kelley

:popcorn: Always love seeing nice fabrication skills.

YellowThumper

To take a stab at the possible braising.
If braised and an issue happened. The parts could be removed and replaced much easier.
Pit repair?  :dunno:
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Brads70

Quote from: YellowThumper on September 17, 2020, 01:17:39 PM
To take a stab at the possible braising.
If braised and an issue happened. The parts could be removed and replaced much easier.
Pit repair?  :dunno:

Ya maybe as they didn't have mig welders like we have available today ?

Brads70

Quote from: Brads70 on August 01, 2020, 06:16:51 PM
It's a relatively new series called the " Hot rod series"  . It's a historical or vintage series. Newer chassis with older bodies. It's generated a lot of interest and gotten a bunch of people back into racing again. It's kinda nice/refreshing to be able to tell what kind of car it is without looking for a decal on a rubber nosecone! Actual " stock car" racing! What a concept huh?  :D

Where I live (Barrie, Ontario) has quite a stock car racing heritage. Lots of racers around both active and retired. Actually the guy who installed my garage door raced in the Daytona 500 etc... he raced at the local tracked where I worked till he retired. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Parsons
There was 2 tracks in town since the mid 60's , so there has been lots of cars built in this area. I worked at one for 25 years till it closed down and was demo'ed for a grass parking lot for a music festival that happens 2x a year.  :headbang:  I'm lucky enough to have lots of friends and acquaintances from my time at the race track. If I need a business or service I always choose a racer that has a business if I can. A bit of a fraternity if you will.   

https://oscaar.ca/schedule/
https://oscaar.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/2020-OSCAAR-HOT-ROD-SERIES-rule-book.pdf

Well 3 races in and it's not wadded up yet!

Brads70

With wanting to lower it some and of course bigger/wider tires. I noticed on one side of the inner fender the wheel rubbed due to the battery mount, so I  cut that out for more clearance and welded in a panel. Battery will move to the trunk.   

Brads70

Today working on the Javelin. I keep finding issues with the previous owners  workmanship. This was horrible. Amazing I got the car home from Wisconsin without the hood flying up.  This is what was holding the hood on. Nut was hanging on by a sliver of .045" material.  Can you imagine blasting down the highway or race track at full song and this was all that was keeping the hood from flying up.  Never trust anyone else's work. I made these inserts and welded them in. Plug welded also on the sides. Do it right or don't  do it all. Now I'll need new hood pins.....  I think I'll use the stainless E-body ones , same as my Challenger.

Brads70

I spend time on this everyday but nothing picture worthy . Spent some time wire wheeling off some undercoating. ( What a horrible job!) and also wire wheeling off paint in the engine bay.  Welding up a crazy amount of holes from clips for wiring , some not used etc... I've ordered front coil overs via QA1 and a A/C condenser from vintage air (so I can finish off the rad mounts) . I ordered material to turn up some shafts to mount the coil overs but I figured it was easier to "harvest" the shafts out of the stock spring saddles and turn them down slightly to fit the coil overs. Went to Princesses Auto
( much the same as Harbor Freight in the USA) and bought some 3/4" shaft collars to keep the coilovers from walking around. Cheaper than making them....  Stuck waiting a week or 2 for parts. Lots of other things to keep me busy though. Today I also stripped off the paint from the hood hinge assy and primed it. Not the easiest thing to do on the hood springs.  Boring tedious and dirty but needs to be done!   

Brads70

Today's additions  to the Kenosha hot rod. Strut rod. This should help to take the twist out of it. I'll wait to drill the holes for the strut tower bar after engine goes in to give me some wiggle room. Also filled in a bunch of holes from wiring looms etc... Next up rad mounts.... The AC condenser came in!  :bradsthumb:

Brads70

Well.... its not everyday one gets to use a 71 Hemi Cuda clone as a parts car  but today I "harvested" out the Dana to go in the Javelin. By my estimations it should just bolt in. I now need to order new leaf springs, u-bolts etc...   My good buddy Mike ( who with a little help , just joined the forum today "CudaKidd" ) is returning it back to original ....340 billboard car. So I got to buy the S60 Dana.  :banana:
Only took us 2 hours to pull the Dana, take out the DrDiff offset kit and install the original 8 3/4 back in.

Brads70

Coilovers came in this week too! Time to get busy now before the weather gets cold....

anlauto

Quote from: Brads70 on October 10, 2020, 05:12:38 PM
Well.... its not everyday one gets to use a 71 Hemi Cuda clone as a parts car  but today I "harvested" out the Dana to go in the Javelin. By my estimations it should just bolt in. I now need to order new leaf springs, u-bolts etc...   My good buddy Mike ( who with a little help , just joined the forum today "CudaKidd" ) is returning it back to original ....340 billboard car. So I got to buy the S60 Dana.  :banana:
Only took us 2 hours to pull the Dana, take out the DrDiff offset kit and install the original 8 3/4 back in.

Not sure if I've ever met Mike before, but I'm very glad to hear his original 340 Cuda is going back to stock :ohyeah:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

Installed the coil overs this afternoon. Also went with 70 E-Body calipers. Cheaper and easier to get now and in the future and has a bigger piston . Found/bought some stainless braided lines with banjo fittings that were listed for a Chevy that will work perfect. They should also work great on our E-Bodies as well.  :alan2cents:
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/DOT-Braided-Stainless-Brake-Hoses-69-77-GM-7-16-20,36151.html

Chryco Psycho

Brads70

Todays progress. Made mounts for the A/C condenser then removed the Chevy rear end . That fought me some removing the leaf springs, had to cut one of the mounting bolts and one shackle .Need to source new ones.  Getting quite a scrap pile, need to make a call and get it taken away.  Plan is to install the Dana next weekend. I ordered new leaf springs, said they will be in on Thursday. Gotta get moving, weather is turning.....