Main Menu

What do you think guys.... 71 AMC Javelin....

Started by Brads70, August 03, 2017, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Someone put a gm rear in that...why????

I hear ya on the cold...toped out a 8 degrees here today.

Cold!
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Brads70

Quote from: Cudajason on October 25, 2020, 03:51:17 PM
Someone put a gm rear in that...why????

I hear ya on the cold...toped out a 8 degrees here today.

Cold!

I have no idea why the GM rear end? It's what was available I guess? The guy I bought it from said it was a 3:73 posi? I'd guess from a camaro or S-10.  Mind you even if it had the AMC rear end I'd still be changing it.  AMC rear ends are kinda goofy in that they had  a hub that was held onto the axle with a big nut and a type of wooddruff key .  :no:
Now my minilite style wheels will fit.
It was about the same temp here too. Yuck!

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Brads70

Quote from: Bullitt- on October 26, 2020, 02:56:56 AM
Have you considered sliders to replace the shackles? I read they lower the rear a smidge
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Heavy-Duty-Chrysler-Type-Leaf-Spring-Slider,5817.html

I've seen those. Used often in circle track but I'd rather use the stock type shackles . This car is already going to be a magnet for law enforcement/MTO I'd rather not give them more to be concerned over LOL

HP2

AMC model 20 rear ends aren't the most performance oriented because, like Brad said, it has a single nut holding the axle and hub together. GM rear ends are plentiful and inexpensive to build out.

Brads70

Had a couple hours today to spend on the Javelin so I went over to my buddy Mikes place and installed the new stainless diff cover and my 10" drums that were on the Challenger when I bought it. I picked up new leaf springs today and shackles from a B-body Mopar ( they will work in the Javelin also)    I sure like Mike's Charger! He has very good taste in cars!  :yes: Plan is to install the rear end on Saturday, should go quick.

Brads70

Well its in for good . FYI a 67-70 Chrysler B-Body rear end will bolt right into a 71-74 Javelin with zero modifications . Maybe u-joint /driveshaft issues? but I'm getting a new drive shaft anyhow so it's a non issue in this case
Mike and a I installed it in about an hour along with new leaf springs and shackles . Only hiccup was the locating hole for the drum brakes needed to be opened up  .050" thou or so to fit on the Strange S60 locating boss on the axel. I was happy/surprised also that the stock E-Body
e- brake cables bolted right into the stock set up from AMC. Nice when things go easy and you get to reuse/recycle parts!  New leaf springs kinda disappointed me in that the bushing was about .160" to narrow on each side, making it sloppy fitting. I quickly turned up a washer/spacer. I'm glad to have the lathe and mill in my garage, sure comes in handy! Seems like all resto parts have issues not just Mopar stuff..... :pullinghair:

RUNCHARGER

That looks great. I like to build things to accept factory type parts as well. For instance you can throw a stock 8 3/4 in there anytime you choose with no fabbing at all.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Brads70

Well it was just over 50 degs here today , so I sprayed the engine bay.  Turned out ok got a few runs but mehh its and engine bay.  Now I have no excuses to not work on it. Running new brakes lines next that I got from Inline tube. They made a kit to do the whole car .   Then I guess its engine install time. That will be nice as it will free up some space in my garage.

Brads70

Not much progress to report, been super busy with work and it's cold now . Which kinda zaps my enthusiasm. I had to order another brake line kit from inline tube as apparently I have a drum brake kit on the car now? Brakes worked great but what ever.... so I have the new kit , still had to modify a couple lines. Latest piece of the puzzle is new Speedhut gauges. Just signed off on the art work just now. Should be real nice, kinda pumped to get them installed!
I was going for a stock AMX gauge look as much as possible . I think they came out pretty well!  Here are the artwork proofs and OEM AMX gauges... 
:veryexcited:

IRON MAN

The gauges look great. Like the direction of the needle sweeps on the four clustered gauges. Also prefer the elimination of the clock in the tach gauge.  :ohyeah:

YellowThumper

Looks very clean with the proper period look
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Brads70

Gauges arrived today from Speedhut . I'm liking them!  :cooldance:

Chryco Psycho