Main Menu

What do you think guys.... 71 AMC Javelin....

Started by Brads70, August 03, 2017, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on August 30, 2021, 04:52:03 AM
The cross member,  or whatever it is close to where your heel would be when driving. Is that a modification or just how javelin floor pans are?
Seems like an odd place for a bump in the floor.

I really like watching your progress on this.  I'm not an originality kind of hobbyist,  so watching it get built 'as you want to build it' is cool.
Yes,  I added that, it ties into the square tubing I sunk into the rocker. Basically its a full frame car now as the square tubing in the rockers is tied into the front subframe and the rear torque box/subframe . I plan on doing something with aluminum and dimple dies  to rest my feet on so that lower part up front won't be an issue. A " skid plate" of sorts....

Brads70

Well now that the tranny tunnel is finished, I put the seats back in, and set the console in place. I need to mount the console yet.
Today was fitting the vintage air Gen-IV Magnum  A\C unit in the Javelin  . The empty case for mock up comes in handy. Picture shown of actual unit. Now just need to build a sheet metal box more or less to cover it all. The Vintage air A/C unit sure is nice, no more cables doors etc.... that and its lighter than the stock set up also!
Used the nutsert kit again, drilled 2 holes inside to mount the bracket and bolted it in place, easy /peasy . I think I need a new nutsert set as the handle mechanisim seems to be all bent up. Quality offshore tools ya know!  :bigthumb:

anlauto

Where did you get "an empty case for mock up" ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on August 31, 2021, 04:26:14 PM
I got an empty case or two in the garage........
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on August 31, 2021, 05:25:29 PM
Quote from: anlauto on August 31, 2021, 04:26:14 PM
I got an empty case or two in the garage........

:rofl:  Glass, aluminum , or brass?  ;)

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

jimynick

LOL, Brad, you may be "shooting" over his head there. Well played nonetheless!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

Today I made a metal box to accommodate  the A\C that stick thru the firewall somewhat. Ill need to paint it, drill some holes to mount the AC box and the lines that will come thru. Then weld it in place  . First time I've  used a box-pan brake . If I can do it so can you!

gzig5

That's going to look very clean.  Nice job. 
I want a 24" metal brake, but I don't have the space to keep it when it isn't in use.

Brads70

Quote from: gzig5 on September 06, 2021, 01:55:54 PM
I want a 24" metal brake, but I don't have the space to keep it when it isn't in use.

I hear ya, I really wanted a 4 foot box pan brake but settled for this for the same reasons as you mentioned. Its been great so far , not all that expensive either .

I waited till it was on sale .... $375 Canadian if I remember right.
https://www.busybeetools.com/products/box-and-pan-brake-24in-cx-series.html

Chryco Psycho

YellowThumper

They are handy.
Made my own. 3 deep in fan shrouds with it amongst other small brackets.
Dash piece as well just yesterday.
Next version of the top will be split to smaller segments.
Bottom support slides in and out to tuck it away easily.
Need to treat it nicer though.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

gzig5

Quote from: gzig5 on September 06, 2021, 01:55:54 PM

Well, it must be Karma.  I've tried to be a good boy lately.  I ran across this on FB market.  Got if for the princely sum of $10 American and a two hour round trip.  It is a home made job but seems to be nicely done and heavy duty with 5/8" plate.  18" width capacity and should do 18ga without issue.  I'll get it cleaned up a bit, add some hold downs and handles, and it will be in use this week.  Big enough for what I need but I can put it on a shelf or in the corner when not in use.
Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.