Main Menu

What do you think guys.... 71 AMC Javelin....

Started by Brads70, August 03, 2017, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on October 16, 2021, 08:11:43 AM
That's the way I think as well, That's how I ended up with 3 overflowing toolbox setups.
As a mold(tool)maker by trade, I have a deep understanding of how tools get the jobs done.
Guilty as charged though for sometimes not showing restraint.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Brads70

Today is " Canada day" and I find it harder each year to scrape up some patriotism due to  current government. It's been 3 years and counting since I've been " permitted" to see my family. So I dragged my butt out to the garage to take my mind off it all.  Working on this car has been therapy for me a distraction from all the covid BS. Now that the Challenger is down for collision repairs the time was right to get back at it.
I haven't had time to do much till today. So far this year all I had done was swap out 1 shock/leaf spring plate and bolt in the rear shocks. Today I jacked up the rear and started on the exhaust. I got a few component's  done. All in 308 Stainless mandrel bends. Chop saw, disc grinder and a welder, made in the driveway. If I can do it so can you!

I have these mufflers I'm going to use, sort of like a T/A muffler.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14210

This is the exhaust tips I used for the side exhaust.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/stw-720300

YellowThumper

Very good. Hope you can continue to focus on it.
Sorry to hear about not seeing your family.

Mike.

Brads70

We today was the "enough thinking, start cutting day" not guts no glory right? Instead of tunneling the exhaust like the original race car I chose to do this. I'm not going to use the rear seat. AMX should have been a 2 seater anyhow! LOL.  I more or less deleted the rear foot well. I wanted the exhaust tucked up as far as possible without cutting into the rocker. I did trim off the lip on the rocker, I'll weld it back up another day. I also finished off the mufflers. I made some stainless hangers and welded them on the rear of the mufflers. At the front I made 4 bushings that the hanger rods slip into, I'll weld them when I get them adjusted how I wanted.

EB3-GranCoupe

Brads70

I finished up one side today, other side should go quicker

Mr Lee

Amazing work.  Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

YellowThumper

Nice to see these details getting knocked out.
Is it nice working on a project that you can just get in and hack away to make it what you want?
Over 30 years I have had Challenger and a Mustang. Would never consider to chop them up.
Since working on Falcon, I can cut and chop at will with zero trepidation.

Mike.

Brads70

Quote from: YellowThumper on July 18, 2022, 10:42:42 AM
Is it nice working on a project that you can just get in and hack away to make it what you want?
Over 30 years I have had Challenger and a Mustang. Would never consider to chop them up.

Yes I agree, on the Challenger I was much more "reserved" and tried to not do anything that couldn't easily be undone. Like bolt on parts etc.... This car is a fun build. I have had a few purist type comments in the AMC crowd though. LOL  I like posting pictures to inspire others to build stuff. Really its not hard, you can do quite a bit with a disc grinder and a mig welder and other simple common hand tools. You are usually only limited by your imagination and confidence to try! What some would call fancy equipment , like a Bridgeport or a sheet metal brake really only make things quicker/easier, they can all be done by hand if one wanted to.
I did just buy a plasma cutter and it made really quick work of things but really you could use a disc grinder and a cut off wheel or a jig saw etc...   

YellowThumper

Quote from: Brads70 on July 18, 2022, 03:42:16 PM
Quote from: YellowThumper on July 18, 2022, 10:42:42 AM

Yes I agree, on the Challenger I was much more "reserved" and tried to not do anything that couldn't easily be undone. Like bolt on parts etc.... This car is a fun build. I have had a few purist type comments in the AMC crowd though. LOL  I like posting pictures to inspire others to build stuff. Really its not hard, you can do quite a bit with a disc grinder and a mig welder and other simple common hand tools. You are usually only limited by your imagination and confidence to try! What some would call fancy equipment , like a Bridgeport or a sheet metal brake really only make things quicker/easier, they can all be done by hand if one wanted to.
I did just buy a plasma cutter and it made really quick work of things but really you could use a disc grinder and a cut off wheel or a jig saw etc...
Exactly jump in with both feet and work your way out the other end.
I already have the Falcon sold. Figuring another couple months to finish and enjoy for a short bit. As much as I do like it. I gotta have less toys and Challenger remains top of that list.
Sorry, now back to your regularly scheduled thread....lol

Mike.

Brads70

Today was a beautiful day weather wise , mid to high 60's . So This afternoon I got the passenger side done.
Now back to exhaust pipes....

EB3-GranCoupe

Thanks for the inspiration, Brad!! I need that for my Barracuda build!

Brads70

No heat kinda "cools" my enthusiasm but managed to make these brackets and got the VDog gear box mounted. I reused the original steering box mounts , so it could always be simply unbolted and returned to stock if need be?

blown motor

Glad to see you got a bit more done. Working on these cars, bit by bit is therapeutic.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

dodj

Quote from: blown motor on January 14, 2023, 03:26:01 PM
Working on these cars, bit by bit is therapeutic.
Not always....lol

Sometimes ya gotta walk away for a day or two...
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill