Main Menu

What do you think guys.... 71 AMC Javelin....

Started by Brads70, August 03, 2017, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Roadman

That car looks nice Brad.   Thought you wanted 71    :notsure:

headejm

Tell your wife you are buying a Dozer or Excavator then swap it for the Javelin. How could she argue with that? It's not like you are buying another car.  :rofl:

Brads70

Quote from: Roadman on October 18, 2017, 09:51:03 AM

I do , but I'm pretty sure the tail lights interchange between 71-72 . I figure I'll have to hunt up NOS tail light lenses anyhow, so a 72 will work. Just swap out the lenses and sell off the 72 lenses?

HP_Cuda

It really depends on what he will take in trade and what size(dozer/excavator). On the smaller end, if he will take used gear it can be from 15-30k.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Roadman

Quote from: Brads70 on October 18, 2017, 10:11:17 AM

I do , but I'm pretty sure the tail lights interchange between 71-72 . I figure I'll have to hunt up NOS tail light lenses anyhow, so a 72 will work. Just swap out the lenses and sell off the 72 lenses?

I put the lenses on my list.   :rebelflag"  Just in case    :banana:

Cudakiller70

Looks to be a 72?
Been here 22 years never knew it was just across the street. Won't sell has other cars too, no more javelins.

Brads70

Quote from: Roadman on October 18, 2017, 10:22:26 AM
Quote from: Brads70 on October 18, 2017, 10:11:17 AM

I put the lenses on my list.   :rebelflag"  Just in case    :banana:

Thanks! Great! They are pretty rare NOS, I've seen $1550 asking prices just for the clear reverse lens.  :Thud:

Brads70

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on October 18, 2017, 10:23:08 AM
Looks to be a 72?
Been here 22 years never knew it was just across the street. Won't sell has other cars too, no more javelins.

Yep it's 72 grill and tail lights are distinctive from the 71's 

Roadman

I just ran thru  :ebay:  NOS parts are slim.   :bricks:

Brads70

Brads70

Well I'm out 23 now 29 in the spring was the sellers reply. The search goes on..... :ebay:

IRON MAN

Brad, The 1971 Javelin is probably the most difficult AMC to find parts for. The same is  almost true for 68-70 AMX. I have a 68 AMX "GoPak" 390 and have found rare parts for it at  Galvin's in Lodi, Ca. They sell used and new parts for AMXs and Javelins. The 68-69 engines were not vin numbered by AMC. I used to visit  Galvins (44 mile drive) every few months. Doug the owner sold me a 390 bare block std bore, spare front fender, and a host of hard to find parts. Three years ago Galvin's had rows of used body parts on shelves in his warehouse. I'm kinda hoarding AMX parts. As you said, nice tail light assemblies are near extinct and I've seen them sell on eBay for  $3,200! That's for a pair of course. LOL. Grills start at $1,200. It is much easier finding parts for e-bodies. Proper fitting pumps and timing covers are difficult to find if you can't afford Bulltear's perfectly made/machined parts. There are far more vendors near Ontario than in Ca. Plus, there is the big annual AMC/Rambler Meet in Kenosha, Wisconsin...kinda like what Carlisle is to e-body people. 

Brads70

Quote from: IRON MAN on October 18, 2017, 02:41:57 PM
Brad, The 1971 Javelin is probably the most difficult AMC to find parts for. The same is  almost true for 68-70 AMX. I have a 68 AMX "GoPak" 390 and have found rare parts for it at  Galvin's in Lodi, Ca. They sell used and new parts for AMXs and Javelins. The 68-69 engines were not vin numbered by AMC. I used to visit  Galvins (44 mile drive) every few months. Doug the owner sold me a 390 bare block std bore, spare front fender, and a host of hard to find parts. Three years ago Galvin's had rows of used body parts on shelves in his warehouse. I'm kinda hoarding AMX parts. As you said, nice tail light assemblies are near extinct and I've seen them sell on eBay for  $3,200! That's for a pair of course. LOL. Grills start at $1,200. It is much easier finding parts for e-bodies. Proper fitting pumps and timing covers are difficult to find if you can't afford Bulltear's perfectly made/machined parts. There are far more vendors near Ontario than in Ca. Plus, there is the big annual AMC/Rambler Meet in Kenosha, Wisconsin...kinda like what Carlisle is to e-body people.

Thanks for the reply, yes tough to get parts for . I've been researching  for a few years now, watching e-bay auctions etc. Joined http://theamcforum.com/forum/forums.html awhile back, AMC facebook groups, etc....
I have a " thing" for Trans-Am cars from the 70-71 seasons and am wanting to build a " tribute" car of Mark Donohue 's winning car. Not quite to the detail of Wayne Davis's car :drooling: ( if you have seen it?) but a street version with the same paint scheme . I'd like to go to the  Kenosha show someday. I was just there in Kenosha for Drag Week in September. Good to know about the timing covers I built a Buick engine and the designs are similar as is its better to buy a new cover than mess with old worn out junk. I've lots about Gavins! ( all good )
I figure AMC is a kissing cousin for Mopars!
Great to have you on this board, there are a few of us AMC fans on here too!  :wave:

Brads70

Quote from: Roadman on October 18, 2017, 10:32:54 AM
  I just ran thru  :ebay:  NOS parts are slim.   :bricks:

If you ever find a 401 block or long block near me let me know!  :ebay:   ;)
The 401 was available in the Javelin, Matador, and Ambassador car lines and in Jeeps from its introduction in 1971 through 1974. In 1975 and 1976, emission controls, insurance rates, and high gasoline prices meant the 401 was available on the large Matador model, and then only for police department orders. Buyers of full-sized Jeeps (Wagoneer, Cherokee, J-10 and J-20) could order a 401 until 1979. This engine was also supplied to International Harvester for use as an optional engine in International's Light Line pickup trucks and Travelalls from late 1973 through 1974.
@Roadman

Roadman

I'm all over it @Brads70 , were going to getcha in the Javelin.   :banana:      :rebelflag"