Main Menu

What do you think guys.... 71 AMC Javelin....

Started by Brads70, August 03, 2017, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

We had a Pierre Cardin edition we got for my dad about 1986 for $150. It was a real beauty. Still a fun car though.

Brads70

I was hovering around the freezing mark today so I decided to fiddle with the gauges today. Was pretty easy/straightforward really . Just some aluminum sheet metal I had in stock and about 4-5 hours later all done except for painting. I'll do that when it gets warmer..... It was easier/quicker having a mill but anyone could have done the same with a jigsaw and a die grinder.
The machined turned dash parts I got From the parts car I had parted out . Nice score!

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Brads70

Beautiful day here today weather wise!
Todays mayhem.... install Hyundai Tiburon seats in the Javelin. Kinda fought me for a bit, floor has various angles to deal with but I got it done. Had to cut off all the mounts and build new ones.  Moved them back about 3" from stock as I find most cars never have the seats going back far enough for me. I have the same seats in the Challenger as well. I had these sitting in the basement for spare parts, so might as well use them .No electronics to go bad, very adjustable, lumbar even, hold you in position quite well, and light weight. Wish I could find another pair....

Brads70

Yesterday was drivetrain install day. " Just keep cutting till it fits!"  :))  T56 wasn't exactly plug and play. I'll build it back stronger!  8)  The T56 sure is a long transmission! Shifter came thru in a ok spot, considering I moved the seats back already.

Brads70

just got this in today.... humped fenders .... humped console.... not sitting in correct spot yet of course ... just wanted to see how it will look. Plan is to remove the black part where the shifter comes thru, get out the english wheel and make an aluminum part to replace it/blend into stock dash. then cover it with a machine turned overlay to match the dash. I got a E-body pistol grip shifter from Alan a few years back that I'm going to use, Also planning to use the stock shifter boot from e-body as well.
Console is from a  08-17 AUDI A5. Spent some time on ebay looking at lots of consoles trying to find one that will work. I think this one will do nicely !  After all, a guy must have cup holders don't ya know! Leather arm rest slides forward covering the first cup holder so lots of adjustment.

Brads70

Finally had a few hours today to work on it. Today I made the power steering pump mount. Next up is the A/C and alternator brackets. Started with the easy one first.  :D
Power steering pump is the same one I used on the Challenger from Jones racing , easy to get down the road and a quality piece.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jrp-ps9008alar

YellowThumper

Nice. Old school rotary getting it done.
Do you have a cross slide for it?
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

gzig5

Quote from: YellowThumper on May 13, 2021, 06:54:19 PM
I think the milling machine it is mounted on probably functions as the X-Y cross slide?  You wouldn't want to attempt that corner rounding on a drill press.
That's nice work on the mount.  Very clean.

YellowThumper

Yes, but mill x - y moves only increase the milled radius.
Arch on all milled pieces with this method is spun off centerline of the rotary table. Cross slide on rotary table allows to fine tune the location of the mounted part relative to its necessary centerline.
I'm old.... Still have a book that provides movements to step off concave and convex curves. IE make a bowl.

Mike.

Brads70

Quote from: YellowThumper on May 13, 2021, 06:54:19 PM

No , just the Bridgeport its mounted on. "Oldschool" comments make me feel old HAHA . I also have a dividing head, 2 of them actually. I also have a wohlhaupter facing / boring head in R8. That is a pretty cool tool to use. Bought it for machining an oil groove in the front cam bearing in my 455 Buick block when I was playing with Buicks. I wasn't dealing with all those goofy external oil feed lines to feed the lifters on the one side.
CNC would be nice but for what I do this works out ok. Could never me competitive if I was charging for this stuff but my own junk I find it a nice diversion/relaxing somehow.  I got laid off once and at one point I used to make a living with this stuff making parts for circle track, hotrods and custom bikes at one point here out of my garage but tough to charge for your time

gzig5

I like old school.  I'm an engineer in the machine automation industry and am programming servo drives all the time to automate manufacturing systems.  But I have lost interest in converting my lathes and 1939 Index mill to CNC.  Sometimes it is faster to just turn the handles.  Most of what I do is one-off so writing the code would take longer.  That attitude may change when I retired soon and have a little more time available.  I did put a servo on a rotary table for one of our show demos, that was fun little exercise.

YellowThumper

Yea my days of CNC has passed. All relegated now to the home shop like yours. Opened my toolbox at work the other day. First time in about a year...
This was my last hurrah piece.
Squeezed it in after hours when running the shop at my last job.

Mike.

Brads70

Today was such a nice day so instead of building more of the accessory brackets , (I thought I'd save that for a rainy day. )   I pushed it out of the garage and finished up the transmission crossmember modifications to suit the T56. So its all bolted down for good now I hope . I then bolted on the shifter and boot ( they look familiar somehow? LOL) and I was shocked.... I do not need to trim the console at all it fits the floor perfectly!  :unbelievable:   Even the shifter and boot fit the hole perfect!   I was shocked!  Next I guess will be getting out the english wheel and making a new transmission tunnel .
It was a good day! Not very often does thing work out like this!  :Thud: