Main Menu

What do you think it is worth.

Started by js27, January 22, 2020, 09:04:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Quote from: 72 Challenger on January 24, 2020, 05:32:20 AM
The answer I believe in somewhere in the 6-10k range.

A lot of people have input into "is this a good investment" but I don't necessarily think of it that way. I am in every way a budgeting nerd but when considering you are doing this as a hobby it's okay to not make back every penny. How much money do people who play golf, compete in dog shows, going camping, fishing etc. "lose" per year just by doing their hobby? Should thsoe people stop doing that just because it is not making them money? Why does that have to be the justification for the car hobby? The car will have a value after, it may be less than what the restoration is but if it's only 10k and your budget can handle that, consider that 10k the cost of having this hobby. Say the restoration takes 4 years - what's 2500 bucks a year when you compare it to most other hobbies?

Not a golden rule for everyone - me included, but if you can afford it, why not.

Always a great argument, love it  :worship: :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

chargerdon

Way, way too many variables to give good estimate on what it is worth. 

First, in my experience no matter how good the body looks, once you have it stripped/sandblasted you will probably find a lot of rust needing repairs.   

Second...ok it is a 340 engine...  thats good, but, when was the last time it ran??  Is it frozen? 

Transmission, when they sit for years and years, the seals all dry up, and will leak or tear the clutches apart if you don't rebuild it first.. 

Once you sand down the roof with that "surface rust" will it turn into a need to replace?

So many variables. 

So, my guess is it is WORTH somewhere between $2,000-$8,000 and you wont know which until you investigate the engine, and strip the car !!

Me being a pessimist, i wouldnt pay over $3,000 for it !!

HEMICUDA

Finding any "rust free" good car are very few and far between in any condition.  With that said, there's very few cars that can be restored and not get covered up in the cost.  The definition of "hobby" "an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure", no where in the definition doe's it say "for profit".  If it's about the money, don't bother.  If you don't get a level of pleasure (which has value) during the process, find a different hobby.

js27

@HEMICUDA -Yes I agree with your rust free cars are hard to find. That is one thing that peaked my interest. When I bought my JS27N car it was a Calif car and was rust free except for the rear passenger floor pan. I was able to buy that car because I was willing to pay his asking price because I knew it would save thousands in body work or panel replacement. I never regretted that decision. I am looking at this car as a retirement project as I will hit 65 this Nov as long as my health doesn't worsen. I have always got my enjoyment taking a junk car and bring it back to life. Yes this is very valuable to me. I have done several over the last 40 years. I just sold my last two restoration and thought I would be done with cars but the bug never dies. I know I will not make money on this car unless A-Bodies go way up in value in the next couple of years. I am not just looking to flip it but I am in sticker shock over how much prices of restoring a car have gone up. I finished my 67 GTX in 1994 and my Challenger in 2001 which was the last one I did. I was just curious what other members thought it was worth. $5000.00 -$10,000 seem to be the range. I think $10,000 is very optimistic though. $5,000 being closer to reality in my opinion.
JS27

anlauto

In my opinion, that would be a great car if you could pick it up for only $5000....around here people would be asking $15K CDN all day for that :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

js27

Quote from: anlauto on January 24, 2020, 10:29:25 AM
In my opinion, that would be a great car if you could pick it up for only $5000....around here people would be asking $15K CDN all day for that :alan2cents:
I am hoping it goes that way--I just texted him asking about the title and build sheet and he is going to try to dig them out this weekend.
JS27