Main Menu

What's it worth?t

Started by Mr Cuda, March 24, 2022, 12:02:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I sell it on fb marketplace. It's been working for me.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

js27

What I have been doing is selling on Facebook to specific groups. E-body parts on E body pages same with my B-Body parts. I went back to the old school way of selling. Someone is interested they send me a check or postal money order for the amount of the part plus shipping. I cash their check and ship the part and send the tracking info. No selling fees and NO IRS reports. I have done this several times in the last few months and have had great success. That is how we did it before Pay Pal or Venmo or before E bay went all crazy with their rules and regulations and charges.
JS27

70vert

@js27  I agree, checks still work just fine. It just takes a few days more to send and clear the check which is seldom a problem.

I prefer to sell on this site, I've mostly e-body stuff anyway. FB Marketplace has a large audience but is also a pain with so many dumb responses and can be tough to keep track in Messenger. But definitely better than eBay!!

70_440-6Cuda

I agree eBay has gotten out of hand with the fees and now the 1099 nonsense.  I used to use it as a garage sale platform where I could reach lots of people.  Now it is just pro sellers gouging prices to cover fees. 

I have also found when I ask wow the prices seem very low compared to what I can actually find out there.  I am also west of the Mississippi and it seems to beore difficult to source for parts.  I will gladly pay shipping and don't mind sending Venmo, zelle or PayPal friends if I talk to the person on the phone.  The trim I need the asking price was nearly $2k... At those prices I won't be able to afford to bring my car back to what it is supposed to be
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

MKA

You can still write-off or apply your cost basis in the part against the 1099 income.  It's an extra form C? and a hassle but I would think for most that would negate the "tax" side of things.

Mr Cuda

My plan is to keep my business license active while I sell parts, and sell them as a business asset,  then deduct operating expenses from that income.
  So help me pay my utilities and taxes. This place is about $2000 a month in fixed costs,  without mortgage.
So far I've sold nothing.
Come on, man!       Thanks J.B.

So far, my plan hasn't worked,  but I did send parts to someone for free, and never heard anything.