Main Menu

What's it worth?t

Started by Mr Cuda, March 24, 2022, 12:02:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mr Cuda

The topic is a problem now.  Selling parts used to be an easy deal.
Rare parts that might bring big money might go on Ebay.
Now you have to price in 15% Ebay fees, and new PayPal 1099 fees at the end of the year.
Standard rate for most should be 15% after your cost basis,  like you have that for spare parts.
So the issue now is, what can I get from the local market on Craigslist or FB marketplace?
In cash. A $600 part that is PayPal'd is $510 net at the end of the year. And a hassle for your taxes.
There is a threshold for sales under the garage sale category,  but car parts will jump over that pretty quick.
Now, Ebay,  $600 = $510  and still gets you a 1099 so $510 =$435.
So.... now what's it worth?
I should have started clearing out stuff years ago.

71vert340

It has gotten to that point hasn't it. If someone needs a part I have, I usually send it for the cost of shipping plus whatever they want to pay. The more expensive parts I have, I just keep and give to friends for free so they can finish their projects. It's all gotten to be such a hassle it's just not worth it anymore.
Terry W.

Jay Bee

Yup, certainly a sad state of affairs. Then factor in that buyers have to pay sales tax via eBay so they're looking for deals.

torredcuda

I`ve sold a bunch of stuff over the years, never any really rare or big dollar parts but luckily I don`t have much of anything left which is a good thing with all these new fees/taxes. Any parts I do need to sell in the future will have to either be local in cash or someone that trusts me to pay with PayPal friends and family as I stopped selling on e-bay years ago due to fees and one sided buyer protection and not dealing with 1099s thru PayPal.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

benguin

I am much more apt to post up and buy parts from this forum than on the big platforms.  At least here I know they are appreciated (hopefully).

What do you have available?  Very possibly you might get some takers at your price.

We've got family and friends across the country, and have picked up more than a few parts that way.  And recently sold some that went to a good home for cash.

Matt13

Thank God for CL and FB Marketplace!

Katfish

Couldn't agree more, big brother grasping for unwarranted tax dollars has eliminated me selling parts.
Most of us are losing money on these sales, its criminal to treat this as income, who has a receipt of something they bought years ago.

Only choice is to sell through the forums to other car guys.
As mentioned eBay is a joke, last thing I sold for $400, netted me less than $300 after shipping.
They even charge fees on the shipping costs, F them, no more

Mr Cuda

To 7vert340, yes, to my friends and local people,  I give all kinds of thing away.  But not Cuda specific parts or I'd have too many friends.  You know the saying,  "can't afford friends". Drinking your beer is one thing. 

What is unfortunate is the volume of stuff that  I need to purge. It has to start or I will be known as that crazy guy. The kind you read about. I guess some stuff will go on Ebay,  but  this will factor into price.  I will start posting stuff here, and maybe once things are established,  use friends and family,  or wait for a check.  That requires trust on buyers part.

cuda hunter

Some of us are so far away from anyone who has parts that we have to pay extra for the service's of paypal and ebay.  Please don't take your parts off the forums markets.  The parts are very appreciated by those of us not on the east coast. 
Also, some folks travel to pick up parts as well so it's nice to have the opportunity of purchase. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Cuda_mark

Quote from: cuda hunter on March 24, 2022, 09:23:15 PM
Some of us are so far away from anyone who has parts that we have to pay extra for the service's of paypal and ebay.  Please don't take your parts off the forums markets.  The parts are very appreciated by those of us not on the east coast. 
Also, some folks travel to pick up parts as well so it's nice to have the opportunity of purchase.

I agree ...those of you with stashes of parts, this is the place to sell them. This is the community of people that need the parts for their projects!!

On that note, I'm still looking for a Federal HEMI power steering hose. I know one of you guys with stashes of parts has one!!

blown motor

Maybe I'm naive here but why do you need eBay to sell your parts? I've sold lots of parts using forums like this, fb marketplace and fb groups such as Mopar Swap Shop among others. No fees involved and the buyer pays the shipping.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

nonfish

Before the internet, the "swap meet" was where you bought and sold parts. I expect that they will be a bigger player going forward considering all the changes that have happen to the buying and selling through the internet.

Mr Cuda

Quote from: blown motor on March 25, 2022, 06:54:51 AM
Maybe I'm naive here but why do you need eBay to sell your parts? I've sold lots of parts using forums like this, fb marketplace and fb groups such as Mopar Swap Shop among others. No fees involved and the buyer pays the shipping.
As mentioned,  PayPal still results in a 1099. So fees.
Believe it or not, not all people are on the forums.  I wasn't till recently.
Ebay typically brings higher money,  although I've seen some sellers with crazy  prices on here.
But the several parts I've asked here about value on, came in shocking low.
Plus there's the fact that I'm out west and 80% of you are east of the Mississippi,  so shipping will be involved.  And that's a deal killer.

blown motor

I live in Ontario, Canada and I've sent parts to Oregon, California, Florida and all over the place. The seller has always paid the shipping and I've never found it to hinder the sale. Mind you I'm not looking for every nickel I can get out of it and I'm not shipping body panels or heavy parts. Probably the heaviest was a manual steering box I sent to California.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

JH27N0B

I too wrote off eBay for selling.  I'm very thankful I sold off a lot of stuff over the years I had sitting around gathering dust there before ebay became unusable. But bummed I didn't list other stuff I still have when I had the chance!
For car stuff there's still other means.  Old toys, models etc I really don't know how to find homes for now?
PayPal doesn't send out 1099s for friends and family payments.
You can list stuff on sites like here and say Friends and Family only.  Or take postal money orders, even personal checks with a wait listed in your ad for it to clear.  That will scare off a few buyers, but not all.  On sites like this if a seller has been a member for a while and has high post counts most feel comfortable dealing with them those ways.
I sold a few items here saying Friends and Family and it worked out ok.
I also dragged a bunch of stuff to a swap meet last year for the first time in many years.
Still no idea how to get rid of non automotive stuff now?