Main Menu

Brake Cable To Firewall Grommet

Started by Daveh, August 15, 2017, 08:28:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey guys,

I went to install my emergency brake in the car last night and could not get the new grommet that goes against the firewall to fit over the cable.  There was no way to put it on.  I ended up splitting it in half and installed it.  I figured I would jut just a tiny amount of RTV on the seam.  Does that sound about right?  Thanks

anlauto

The correct grommet has a metal insert, making it difficult to "split in half" . Is yours the correct one ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

The new E brake cable comes with that already on it. The replacement might be all rubber so it can be installed. If it fits over the cable and fits snug in the hole you will be fine. :alan2cents:

Mrbill426

So how does one install a "correct" grommet with the metal insert onto a replacement front cable?  :notsure:

:wrenching:

Quote from: Shane Kelley on August 15, 2017, 10:46:28 AM
The new E brake cable comes with that already on it. The replacement might be all rubber so it can be installed. If it fits over the cable and fits snug in the hole you will be fine. :alan2cents:

Burdar

I just bought a new front cable from Inline Tube. It came with the grommet and clips already installed.

Mrbill426

Inline Tube here too.... no grommet.... bought over a year ago.  I see new "correct" grommets for sale (alone) so there must be a plan somewhere.  :clueless:

Quote from: Burdar on September 15, 2017, 05:38:10 PM
I just bought a new front cable from Inline Tube. It came with the grommet and clips already installed.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Mrbill426 on September 15, 2017, 05:34:47 PM
So how does one install a "correct" grommet with the metal insert onto a replacement front cable?  :notsure:

Quote from: Shane Kelley on August 15, 2017, 10:46:28 AM
That I don't know. That's why I made sure it came on the new cable. I can't see how it will fit over the ends. You might be stuck buying a new front cable with it already on it.

Burdar

My Challenger cable came from Fine Lines. It didn't have the grommet on it. I had to buy it separately. I don't remember how I installed it. Maybe push larger and larger sockets through the grommet until you have it expanded just enough to slide it over the cable end.

Mrbill426

Both ends of my Inline Tube front cable look like this; no grommet.   :(

Quote from: Burdar on September 16, 2017, 11:55:03 AM
My Challenger cable came from Fine Lines. It didn't have the grommet on it. I had to buy it separately. I don't remember how I installed it. Maybe push larger and larger sockets through the grommet until you have it expanded just enough to slide it over the cable end.

Burdar

Here's my original cable.  The cable diameter isn't that much smaller then the end.  You should be able to pull the grommet past the end with a little lube.

Mrbill426

I still have my original and it looks just like yours, grommet and all.  The replacement grommets I have seen look like they have metal in them, but my original is all rubber.  I am not sure what "locks" them into the firewall as they are not grooved; smooth sides like yours.

Quote from: Burdar on September 16, 2017, 08:13:41 PM
Here's my original cable.  The cable diameter isn't that much smaller then the end.  You should be able to pull the grommet past the end with a little lube.

RUNCHARGER

Those metal prongs sticking out of the rubber grommet lock it into the hole in the firewall. They are generally rusted away on old grommets.
Sheldon

Burdar

Yah, the metal in them usually rusts away.  The cable was installed from the INSIDE.  The cable was probably installed on the mechanism first, then the cable was pushed through the hole in the firewall.(from the inside) The "tabs" should be visible from the wheel well.

Mrbill426

So the prongs are just embedded in the rubber, or are the protruding from a washer molded into the grommet?  I'll have to take another look at my old one, but it looked like the "prongs" were rubber.

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 16, 2017, 08:42:15 PM
Those metal prongs sticking out of the rubber grommet lock it into the hole in the firewall. They are generally rusted away on old grommets.

Burdar

On my original grommet, the rubber was molded around the metal prongs.  On the reproduction, the prongs just stick out of the rubber.