Main Menu

Disk brake caliper pins, can't install one side

Started by Lloyd Lind, February 09, 2018, 06:03:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Lloyd Lind

I had this problem years ago on just one side and I don't remember what I did. They just won't thread in to the caliper bracket. Spent an hour tonight with clamps and all different gizmos. Someone has got to know what's going on. The bolts thread in no problem with out the caliper but loaded with pads and all it just laughs at me.

71-440

Are you right handed or left handed? Which side of the car is giving you trouble?

OK....I just had to.

Seriously I have no clue. I'm sure someone will.

Joe

anlauto

Do you have the option of trying a different pin? Or if you remove the one side, then can you get the troubled pin to start ? Could be a thread issue.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Make sure the pins thread in nicely with the caliper nowhere in sight. Sometimes using a pin punch to line one bolt hole up helps while you thread the caliper bolt in.
Sheldon

Lloyd Lind

I tried other pins and checked the threads, still no go. Probably go right in first time I try in the morning that's how it usually goes.

anlauto

If you remove the other pin and try that pin first does it go ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Lloyd Lind

Neither pin will start. I'm going to take the ones out on the other side and try them....worst case I won't be able to get that side back on either. Something is fishy though.

Cudakiller70

Were these assembled before and you are reinstalling?
If so maybe you haven't pushed the caliper piston back in far enough?

Lloyd Lind

750-h2

I had the exact same problem on the passenger side. I was using remanufactured calipers.   After looking at it carefully I saw the problem, the calliper would simply not physically fit on the mount. I had the grind about 1/16 of an inch of metal from the caliper and it slipped right in. Try to mount the caliper without the brake pads and look carefully to see why it is not going in. 

anlauto

Quote from: 750-h2 on February 10, 2018, 06:16:01 AM
I had the exact same problem on the passenger side. I was using remanufactured calipers.   After looking at it carefully I saw the problem, the calliper would simply not physically fit on the mount. I had the grind about 1/16 of an inch of metal from the caliper and it slipped right in. Try to mount the caliper without the brake pads and look carefully to see why it is not going in.

I've had that exact same problem once before as well, but I figured that was too obvious  :thinking:

Lloyd Lind

I finally got them, I had to get a  board in behind each one with a ratcheting wrench on the bolt to pry as I turned them and they threaded up. I'm still not sure what was wrong so I didn't learn anything other than the strong idea that this is how I resolved it years ago, less the ratcheting wrench since they did not exist yet.

Topcat

Has anyone ever ran across the Caliper pins that don't require the anti rattle spring and spacer hardware?

They made them as a replacement and advised using brake pads with a slot in the middle of the pad.

Way easier to install and they mounted flush onto the Caliper.